ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Oversaturated colors in Premiere Pro - P3 Gamut

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wojtek TymickiOversaturated colors in Premiere Pro - P3 Gamut
by on Mar 11, 2016 at 10:08:13 pm

Couple months ago I bought new iMac 2015 27'' Retina. This new model comes with wider color range DCI P3. As an amateur videographer I had no idea it might affect my workflow of editing my videos. Long story short all the footage I import into the premiere pro (I run CS6) is slightly oversaturated. Since premiere is not handling any color profile I assumed it is the p3 gamut messing up my project. I tested the same footage one newest version of premiere CC 2015 hoping that maybe adobe handled that issue but to my surprise I found the footage to be the same, oversaturated.

I also do color grading in premiere but since all colors in premiere are oversaturated I might as well give up on that task since is seems to be futile. i could continue editing in premiere but i would have to give up on coloring in premiere.

Is there any solution to that oversaturation issue? Any patch? Trick? Please!

I am attaching screenshot from premiere pro (top) and quicktime (bottom) - quicktime is the only player handling colors properly

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8043727/color_test.jpg

Thanks for your opinions and help!

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Oversaturated colors in Premiere Pro - P3 Gamut
by on Mar 12, 2016 at 7:20:42 am

Quicktime is the most unreliable player when it comes to color so it would be kinda suprising if this would be the case here. You need to calibrate your display to sRGB/rec709 unless you are actually doing work in P3 space.

Return to posts index

Wojtek TymickiRe: Oversaturated colors in Premiere Pro - P3 Gamut
by on Mar 12, 2016 at 9:33:47 am

From what I read about the new iMac P3 display, calibration will not fix the issue, because "oversaturation" is affecting only particular software (chrome, vlc premiere pro) that doesn't support the P3 gamut.

"One of the challenges of wide gamut displays is that the colors in untagged objects (objects without a color profile) can appear oversaturated. This can happen when the color values of untagged objects are defined in a smaller color space such as sRGB, which is usually the case. When those untagged color values are displayed on a larger gamut display, if their gamut is simply scaled up to match the larger gamut the color values can end up further out than they should be in the larger color space, appearing oversaturated."

http://blog.conradchavez.com/2015/10/26/a-look-at-the-p3-color-gamut-of-the...

This is interesting article covering the issue of oversaturation.

Unfortunately it doesn't offer any other solution than to get external display...

Funny thing. I opened the clip in After Effects and I set project working space to sRGB and that fixed the problem. But that is AE. PP doesn't offer to my knowledge color management

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Oversaturated colors in Premiere Pro - P3 Gamut
by on Mar 12, 2016 at 4:08:56 pm

i've turned in I don't know how many bug reports about this. I lost count! Basically you need a LUT to convert P3 to Rec. 709 and import it into Lumetri. Although, as you know, enabling luts in premiere requires a powerful gfx card.

Honestly since dynamic link doesn't support color management, you're going to have fun using speedgrade with P3.
and mercury transmit doesn't support color management too! yep, blah!!! Better work in Rec. 709 for now till they update adobe stuff.

Only AE and photoshop can handle it with project working space, view-simulate and utility profile converter.
and they call this stuff professional?
back to Resolve I go!!!

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Oversaturated colors in Premiere Pro - P3 Gamut
by on Mar 12, 2016 at 7:32:25 pm

I have no idea how your monitor is calibrated: white point D65? gamma, etc.
are you using SMPTE RP 431-2-2007 DCI (P3)? or 2011?
SMPTE EG 432-1 or SMPTE RP 431-2?

nonetheless, here is a best guess:
P3 to Rec. 709 D65 iridus Lut.

16 cube for speed draft playback quality
9881_p3torec70916.cube.zip

64 cube for render quality (higher quality is slow)
9882_p3torec70964.cube.zip

you can make your own with dispcal(free) or brizsoft.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]