ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Importing VHS and Betacam tapes to stand alone files

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jurgen E. TabakuImporting VHS and Betacam tapes to stand alone files
by on Mar 9, 2016 at 8:52:22 pm

I was just handed close to 400 VHS tapes and about 250 Betacam tapes to import as stand alone files for archival purposes at my work. Previously I have imported VHS tapes here and there for other work but nothing at this rate. I was wondering if there is a way that someone has used for such a project. Maybe if there is a software or a process. Also, any idea for best format to import them as? I do have both VHS and Betacam players.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Jeff PuleraRe: Importing VHS and Betacam tapes to stand alone files
by on Mar 9, 2016 at 10:17:26 pm

You can use capture hardware for PC or Mac that has analog inputs, such as units from AJA, Black Magic, or Matrox. These will record as 4:2:2 video in a proprietary .avi codec on PC, or for Mac likely just a .mov file.

Or, if the computer has a 1394 Firewire port, use an analog > 1394 converter box such as a Grass Valley ADVC-110 and then you are capturing as DV video files, which are quite standard. File size for DV is roughly 13GB per hour, or 25Mbps.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Steve BrameRe: Importing VHS and Betacam tapes to stand alone files
by on Mar 9, 2016 at 10:34:13 pm

One word - interns.

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia GeForce GTX 770 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC * QuickTime 7.7.5
-------------------------------------------
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: Importing VHS and Betacam tapes to stand alone files
by on Mar 9, 2016 at 10:55:28 pm

A computer, NLE software, and a capture card are all you need. Heck, just a computer and a capture card or IO device is all you need, as they have capture software.

Capture as Standard Definition files. DVCPRO 50 is a good codec, as is ProRes NTSC. Just don't know what you have available. Personally, I'd either capture as DV50 (DVCPRO 50) or ProRes NTSC. And as Quicktime files. That's LOT of video...so I wouldn't do Uncompressed 8-bit.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Importing VHS and Betacam tapes to stand alone files
by on Mar 10, 2016 at 2:45:43 am

I agree with not compressed. Since they are being captured for the first time, you don't need to worry about generational loss or lossless compression. The best codecs to capture with are Wavelet based motion-Jpeg etc., NOT I repeat NOT macroblock codecs like h.264!!! You will get nasty artifacts!

two really good threads:

capturing vhs
https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/3/969238

color correcting vhs in large batches
https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/1066133

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]