ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Mac Pro VS MacBook Pro as a mobile edit worksation

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay MossMac Pro VS MacBook Pro as a mobile edit worksation
by on Mar 8, 2016 at 10:32:04 am

Hi,

I also posted this question in the "art of the edit" forum but it applies better here I think (I guess we need an "edit equipment/hardware" forum for this kind of thing).

I'm shortly going to have to upgrade my hardware after trying to hold off for as long as possible. For many years I have had a Mac pro for working from my own office and a Macbook pro for mobile gigs. Ideally I would like to just have one system from now on however.

My question is weather a macbook pro is powerful/future proof enough to be a main system, or if a MacPro could realistically work as a portable solution?

If I need to edit remotely, most productions are happy to provide a monitor (they usually provide one as an external even if I bring a laptop), so that shouldn't effect the portability of the MacPro for my purposes.

I work with both Premier and Avid, and would really appreciate any thoughts you all might have, especially if anyone has experience of running the MacPro in place of a laptop!

Best,

Jay

Return to posts index

Chris EvansRe: Mac Pro VS MacBook Pro as a mobile edit worksation
by on Mar 8, 2016 at 3:47:28 pm

I mainly edit on a PC, but I'll give you my thoughts . I'd go with a Macbook Pro. Go all out, get the best one you can and it should be able to handle almost anything you throw at it, they are pretty beastly computers. A MacPro is obviously more powerful and may give you less dropped frames in some situations and faster rendering, but if you're moving around, the ability to sit down at a desk and be working in less than a minute or two is invaluable.

Unless you never work at a place very long, always sitting down and not having to move your computer for a whole day at least, then I think a laptop will be much easier to use. And if you're just doing HD video editing and not heavily editing hour long pieces in one place often, then I don't think the power of the MacPro will really help speed up your work enough to justify the other times you've got to move it around.

Return to posts index

Jay MossRe: Mac Pro VS MacBook Pro as a mobile edit worksation
by on Mar 8, 2016 at 5:00:21 pm

Thanks for the reply Chris.

I'm a commercials editor primarily, so each gig is between 3 and 5 days on average, during which time I don't need to move my kit about. Even if i'm working on set (which is not very often) It's not a problem to plug a tower in to a drive/monitor once per day; I'd have to do that with a laptop anyway. As I mentioned: last time I upgraded hardware I just bought both, but i've often wondered (now that the MacPro is so small) if I could get by with just one or the other...

I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of each and my concern is mostly about the actual portability of a MacPro. With the laptop, I only need a client to provide one extra monitor, whereas with the MacPro I would need two. There is probably not much difference between them in terms of physical space required to carry them about (once you discount having to take a monitor with you for the MacPro). The limited connectivity and upgradability of the laptop would mean it would likely need upgrading sooner than a "proper" Mac... but then of course it's cheaper to begin with.

Decisions decisions...

Best,

J

Return to posts index

Matthieu LaclauRe: Mac Pro VS MacBook Pro as a mobile edit worksation
by on Mar 9, 2016 at 8:57:17 am

Hi,

I bought a Mac Pro a year and a half ago and I often move from one place to another.
I have my main editing room in Taipei, but I often go to Beijing. For the last feature film I cut, I was editing on set, so I've also been to different place in China, in Australia and in France.
I carry a quite complete setup in a backpack and a Rimowa luggage and I feel convenient about it.

In the backpack, I put the Mac Pro (that is inside the Waterfield Mac Pro bag), a Lacie 2Big thunderbolt 2 and a iPad mini. With the app Duet, I can use the iPad as a monitor: it's a bit small, but when I really need to do something and I don't have a monitor, it's ok. I actually used this system from a airport, because I really needed to do something fast.

In the luggage, I have a Samsung U28E590, which fit exactly my luggage. I just need to remove the stands (which is very easy) and I wrap the monitor in a light duvet.
I also put 2 Genelec 8010A speakers and a bag full of cables, chargers, and an extender with 5 plugs.
Then, I still have enough space to put my clothes. My luggage is often around 23kg which is ok for most flight.

With this setup, I can go almost anywhere and I have a complete setup. If I cut in a hotel, I will connect the Mac Pro to the TV through HDMI.
Then, if I go to a office where I know there is a monitor, I just have to take the backpack. It makes a heavy backpack, but I got used to it.

I'm not sure what is the more suitable for you, but in my situation, I wouldn't exchange my Mac Pro with a Macbook Pro.

Hope my post can help.
Best,

Matthieu.

Return to posts index

Jay MossRe: Mac Pro VS MacBook Pro as a mobile edit worksation
by on Mar 13, 2016 at 7:03:01 pm

Hi Matthieu,

Glad to hear someone is managing to work mobile with the MacPro; I was beginning to feel crazy for even asking about it!

I must admit I hadn't considered the lack of speakers : /

I had planned to be mostly using it with headphones when on location. But I could easily add a splitter for a second pair for the director, or a bluetooth soundlink type thing when there are producers/agency present, and that should still keep the overall weight down.

Cheers,

J

Return to posts index

Matthieu LaclauRe: Mac Pro VS MacBook Pro as a mobile edit worksation
by on Mar 13, 2016 at 7:13:27 pm

As soon as the Macpro was announced, I was very excited with the possibility to use it as a mobile workstation.
It seems not too many people are using it like this.

For the sound, it would be similar problem with a macbookpro actually. If you want to have good sound, you need good headphone or good speakers.
I like the Genelec 8010A, because they're very good quality and they're extremely small. The only inconvenient is that the input is XLR, so I had to do a custom cable: double XLR / mini jack.
Cheers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]