ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Premiere Freeze/crash when export

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Samuele LatinoPremiere Freeze/crash when export
by on Mar 7, 2016 at 12:23:42 pm

I apologize right away for my english, I'm Italian.

I write here because now I got to exasperation, I tried them all and yet I continue to have problems. Let's start from the beginning: about a year ago I installed this new pc buying all the components from internet, trying to make it powerful enough to support the 1080p well. The computer itself works very well and is very fast, but despite this I'm still have problems with Premiere, from CS6 to CC 2015. When I export any project the majority of the time the whole computer freezes, forcing me to turn off the pc or turns off by itself, and no blue screen comes out. I tried by following various guides on the internet, such as disable the GPU, clean the cache, turn off synchronization, and so on, some of these have worked in some projects, but more often the problem remained, and honestly I don't know where to turn. The problem happens with any kind of project, like 720x576 or 1920x1080, and very often the case if the timeline I have the .mov, sometimes with .mxf. Usually we don't even have "real" montages, only clean the clips, so we don't place any effect or special things, we only cut clip and join.
I also tried to put stress on the PC with appropriate programs, but didn't give me big problems. Another thing I noticed exporting a project is that disabling the GPU pc memory is filled to about 30gb and then freeze the computer, while activating GPU uses only 10gb but after a while still freeze.

Speaking of the system I have Windows 7 SP1, I installed Premiere CS6, CC, and CC2015, and how computer hardware I have this:

Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. CROSSHAIR V FORMULA-Z (Socket 942)
CPU: AMD FX-9590
GPU: 2047 MBNVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 (Gigabyte)
Ram: 32GB DDR3 1203 MHz

I'm pretty sure it's a hardware problem, because in another PC with the same software specifications, exporting the same project does not give me any problems. I think I said everything you might need, so thank you in advance for any help

Return to posts index

Chris EvansRe: Premiere Freeze/crash when export
by on Mar 7, 2016 at 5:46:58 pm

It's likely you've tried these things, but if you haven't give them a try. Run an anti-virus, MalwareBytes, CCleaner, defragment your Hard drives, make sure all your drivers are up to date, and check your temperatures are within range. I doubt it's any of those, but just rule them out, sometimes it's easy to jump over something simple.

Just a couple questions. What kind of hard drive setup do you have and where do you put your footage, programs, and project files? How much free space do you have? How big are the projects you usually do? Does project size seem to make any difference on the crashes? Are you updated to the absolute latest version? You said you have Premiere CS6, does that crash too? I only ask these because there the questions I'd ask myself.

I have a coworker who had a similar problem where it just crashed almost ever time he tried to export. According to his research, I think other people were experiencing something similar. I believe an update solved his problem, but that might not solve yours. Definitely submit a bug report to Adobe and talk to their support if you haven't yet and don't be afraid to be a little aggressive when they tell you it's something you've already ruled out, just don't be mean.

If you don't think it's any of those things, I'd start replacing things in your computer one by one and seeing if that helps. Start with the GPU since it's the easiest, then the RAM, then the CPU, then finally your hard drives.

Return to posts index

Samuele LatinoRe: Premiere Freeze/crash when export
by on Mar 7, 2016 at 7:02:41 pm

First of all thank you both for the reply.

I performed an overclock, but to decrease some values ​​as initially crashed computer even without doing anything, now with the values ​​that I set the computer works fine except with Premiere.

Responding to Chris, what I have already done is clean the PC with CCleaner, update drivers and see temperatures, and is all regular, at this point I will try even with antivirus and to defragment.

Usually we put the footage and the projects in external drives attached via USB 3.0 or an internal hard drive, while the programs are installed on the hard drive system (SSD). I have 70gb free on hard drive system, the others between the 100gb and 500gb. The projects unfortunately I didn't remember the size and, right now, I'm unable to control, but the videos usually range from 50 to 200gb. Honestly I have not noticed any changes between the various projects, which are 720x576 crashes by half an hour or are 1920x1080, so I don't think the size is the problem. The last time I updated if I'm not mistaken it was in late January, since then nothing has changed, but as soon as I get the chance I'll try to see if there are new updates. Yes anyway, even in cs6 I have the same crashes.

I was already thinking about changing the components, I wanted to first ask to see if in fact there were other solutions, or if anyone has had the same experience. Unfortunately these days I can't try, so soon as I can I'll do all the tests and let you know. Meanwhile, thank you again very much for the help!

Return to posts index

Chris EvansRe: Premiere Freeze/crash when export
by on Mar 7, 2016 at 7:10:58 pm

I assume you contacted Adobe Support? Did they say anything?

It sounds to me like a bug in Premiere or a hardware problem. You might try reinstalling Premiere, besides that and replacing your parts, I don't have any ideas.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 7, 2016 at 7:24:14 pm

Not yet, honestly seeing the responses in the support very often are vague or respond after a long time, so I wanted to try to ask here first. If the solutions proposed by you I will not be able to solve I definitely try there too. However, already tried to reinstall several times, nothing has changed unfortunately, I think I'll begin trying to swap the video card with one of another PC and see if it still crashes

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Premiere Freeze/crash when export
by on Mar 7, 2016 at 6:13:54 pm

you aren't overclocking are you?

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Premiere Freeze/crash when export
by on Mar 7, 2016 at 7:11:07 pm

i am 99% sure you damaged your gfx card. Please do a burn in test of hardware components and then get back to us.
http://www.passmark.com/products/bit.htm

Return to posts index

by on Mar 7, 2016 at 7:25:39 pm

I hope not, in any case as soon as possible I will try, thank you!

Return to posts index

Bob SpezRe: Premiere Freeze/crash when export
by on Mar 8, 2016 at 6:55:48 pm

I think most people have problems with the time required to export videos on Premiere Pro. I did. I am now using Premiere Pro CS6 64bit, and I now allocate 11GB of RAM to Premiere. I use a separate hard drive to export to.

With my old system and allocating 6GB of RAM to Premiere Pro, it was taking me 9 hours to export 4 minutes of video (two video and two audio tracks). None of my exported files was more than 2 GB.

Last year I upgraded my cpu to Intel i7, my video card and RAM, I upgraded to Win 10 64bit. It was still taking 45 minutes to export 2 audio and two video tracks, in 1080P, totaling less than 4 minutes in total length, after pre-rendering them at low resolution.

Then someone on this forum (the only one who made this suggestion) suggested when I open the export window in Premiere Pro to export my video, I click on the queue button, instead of the export button. The Queue button uses the Adobe Media Encoder to do the export rather than the standard export. This brought my export time down to 20 minutes.

I don't even know if Adobe is capable of exporting 50GB or larger files like you have. A commercial full length movie is only about 4GB. I don't understand why your files are so large. Maybe you need to pre-process your clips to get them down to 1080P with a smaller file size (like reducing your baud rate to something like 6K, at 24fps).

Return to posts index

Jeff PuleraRe: Premiere Freeze/crash when export
by on Mar 9, 2016 at 2:52:55 pm

Hi Bob,

I've been using Export for years (I never use Queue) and never have export issues, even with 3-hour movies using a lossless codec resulting in 200GB files. Never have crazy long render times as you did either. Just saying there is/was something wrong with your system to cause this, it is not the normal behavior of Premiere.

I often see posts similar to yours, and I guess the posters assumed that since something works a certain way on their machine, it must be the same for others, not realizing they have a unique problem.

To the OP, I will say it is unfortunate that you went with the AMD CPU, Premiere is much more efficient with Intel Core i7. Also, try turning off all overclocking. The very small real-world gain you might achieve in render speed may be getting negated by causing failure to render at all.

Thanks

Jeff

Return to posts index

by on Mar 9, 2016 at 11:52:59 pm

Hi Jeff,
Just curious,
1.What export settings (codec, fps, frame size, etc.) do you use?

2.What are the specs for your system (CPU type, Video card type and video RAM, System RAM).

3.How much memory do you allocate to Premiere Pro in preferences?

3. What are the properties of your exported video (resolution, baud rate, fps, video length and video file type and size)?

4. What OS and version of Premiere Pro are you using?

5. Are your clips all pre-rendered prior to export? What resolution do you render at?

I apologize for all the above questions, but I'd like to know specifically what settings and system configuration can export a 200GB video in three hours.

I thought I was doing well, over the course of a year, by getting a 4 minute export down from 9 hours to 20 minutes. If you have the answer on how to do a quick export with 1080P resolution, I would surely appreciate it, and so would many others.

None of the many responses on this and other forums regarding speeding up of Preiere Pro 1080P exports (1920x1080, 24fps) yielded any results for me other than updating my OS and system and using the Media Encoder. I was able to render faster by lowering the rendering resolution.

Hope you can provide the details I requested as they would make your reply testable for myself and others.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 10, 2016 at 12:01:46 am

P.S. Jeff,
I reread your post and saw you did not say you could export a 3 hour 200GB file in three hours. My mistake. You just said you could export it quickly. So my first question would be how long does it take you to export a 200GB 3 hour video?

Extrapolating my current speed of 20 minutes to export a 4 minute video, it would take me 5 hours to export a 1 hour video, or 15 hours to export a 3 hour video. If your export times are substantially faster than mine, then please answer my other settings and configuration question when you have the time. Thank you.
Bob

Return to posts index

by on Mar 10, 2016 at 10:04:45 am

First of all thank you for the advice!

I admit that we went a bit savings, we mostly tried fast economic components but in any case it must be said that apart from the export with Premiere else works beautifully, considering that I can do as well montages 4k without problems. About overclocking honestly scares me a little tap values, initially pc gave me a lot of problems just because I left the default values, turned off continuously or BDOS without ever touching a PC, while the actual values (and specifically, my goal is not to make the fast pc, only that it is stable, so the majority rather than increase them went to reduce them) works beautifully.

Surely later I try this too, now as though they are now workload to end and I don't want to risk being completely without PC. Still I have a curiosity, why do you say that with a i7 Premiere works better? It is a matter of processor structure or something else? Maybe later I might consider replacing it, so I would like to better understand how it works

Return to posts index

by on Mar 10, 2016 at 10:45:19 pm

Hi Samuele,
Regarding your question on the intel i7 processor. In my reply to Jeff I mentioned that my system used the i7-870 processor at 2.93HHz, overclocked to 3.08GHZ and 16GBof RAM. I have heard that the i7 worked well with with Premiere Pro CS6 64 bit, which I had. I also am using Win10 Pro 64 bit OS.
I should add that my desktop, a used HP Z200 with a ATI FirePro V4800 Graphics Adapter with 1GB video RAM, was not an expensive system It only cost me $250 on ebay 6 months ago. I added 8GB of system RAM I had from my previous desktop to bring the system up to 16GB of RAM.
If you look at the tests I reported in today's answer to Jeff, you can see that adding Premiere Pro effects, especially adjusting the lighting, caused the biggest encrement in export time. A one minute 1920 x 1080 24fps mp4 file took just 93 seconds to export with no effects to H.264, 1980x1020 mp4 file. When I cut the file into 5 segments, added 6 transitions, zoomed into different parts of the frame on 4 of the 5 segments, changed the lighting on all 5 segments and did color grading on all 5 segment, the export time went up to 6 minutes and 10 seconds.

Bob

Return to posts index

by on Mar 10, 2016 at 9:49:23 am

Here I am with some results; last night the first thing I did was replace the video card and try to export. Opening the PC I noticed something I had not thought, that is the dust. The computer it's packed, and the video card fan especially had blocks of dust, which probably did stop the fan and causing system failure.

To be safe, however I tried to replace the card, an Nvidia gts 450 (MSI), I tried to export 2 times a movie, 1920x1080 30 minutes, exporting it in H264 as the source and one more in H264 but at 720p, and all this with the acceleration of the GPU. Premiere, albeit very slowly, exported all over with no problem, then tonight I left export a 720x576 movie 7/8 hours without the GPU, but unfortunately Premiere crashed (and accurate, only Premiere, the rest of the computer worked). Now I'm trying again to export the same movie using the GPU, we will see how it will end

Parallel I attached the GTX 750 in the other pc and tried to export a movie with Premiere CS6 as 720x576 as 2 hours in wmv, no crash and exported without problems. Now I'm trying to export the same thing from Premiere CC 2015, so far no problem, when it end will let you know.

Honestly I'm very confused, apparently the problem is not the video card, most likely is just the dust that has accumulated, but this situation leaves me very puzzled, especially on the export operation of Premiere; for example, what components use? How it use them? And above all, how works the export with the acceleration of the GPU?

In any case, forgive me if I did not do all the tests that you proposed, unfortunately these days I have a lot of work, so right now I'm trying to get rid of it and then analyze it all, right now I just need that exports me these videos in some way and as quickly as possible

Return to posts index

by on Mar 10, 2016 at 3:03:04 pm

Hi Bob,

My system is close to 5 years old, Intel Core i7-2600, 16GB RAM, GTX 470 graphics, external USB 3.0 G-Tech 4TB GRAID drive in RAID 0 mode for video.

I work with 1080i HDV, AVCHD and ProRes source files normally and export as AVI, MPEG-2 DVD, or H.264 for most workflows. Nothing really takes too much longer than realtime to export basically, if not faster than.

I'm not going to go into specifics on all my formats and settings because frankly it doesn't matter - my system isn't broke, we need to talk about your system and why it takes so long to export. I export a variety of sources to a variety of formats, so there is no magic formula.

If you are simply putting clips on the timeline, cutting them up, adding some transitions or titles, etc. and then exporting, 4 minutes ought to take just minutes to export. Not 20 minutes, not 4 hours. I will say that Video Denoiser plug-ins take a crazy long time to render on any system, but you didn't say you are using that software.

I very seldom render anything on the timeline - I'll leave it red or yellow, as long as the video plays for preview and I can see what I'm doing, I disregard the colors. The video must be rendered anyway during the final export to format of your choice, so pre-rendering in timeline just means you are doing it twice.

http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/2011/02/red-yellow-and-green-render-bars...

Having GPU rendering enabled in Premiere (with appropriate graphics card) can speed up certain things. With CC, look under File > Project Settings > General and see if Mercury Playback is set to GPU or Software.

So let's talk about your workflow - what are the specs of the source footage? Any special effects or filters added in sequence? What format are you exporting to? A screen shot of Export Settings can be very helpful in spotting potential issues.

Oh, someone asked about the AMD vs. Intel thing. There is an Instruction Set included in Intel chips that AMD lacks, which Adobe uses to speed things up, plus Intel chips are generally faster anyway from what I understand. But everyone recommends Core i7 for Premiere, that's the norm for best performance.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

by on Mar 10, 2016 at 10:27:26 pm

Hi Jeff,

Based on your comments and the fact your system is not that different from mine I decided to do some testing with my Adobe CS6 Premiere Pro 64 bit software.

My desktop is an HP Z200 Desktop Core i7-870 @ 2.93GHz (over clocked to 3.07GHz), 16GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB HD, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, ATI FirePro V4800 Graphics Adapter with 1GB video RAM. I export my files to a USB 2.0 500GB pocket drive.

For the test I used as an input file a one minute video clip of me panning across my CD cabinet and the walls around it. This input clip was an mp4 file, 1920x1018, 24fps, bitrate of 3700kbps, with mono sound.

The first thing I did was export it to an avi file set to same settings as input. Like you, I exported this 1 minute file in just 58 seconds. A tiny bit faster than real time.

However since I prefer H.264 mp4 file output, I exported it to that format.
The export time was 93 sec. or 155% of real time. The output file was 34 MB,
1920x1080, bitrate of 4700 kbs, with stereo sound, 1 minute long.

The next thing I did was export it with the media encoder, and you were correct, the media encoder was no faster than the export button, it was a bit slower at 105 sec, or 175% of real time.

For the rest of the test I incrementally added the type of Premiere Pro effects that I usually use, exporting the file each time with an additional effect added to the ones already on the timeline. They were all Premiere Pro effects, no third party plugins. I did not pre-render any of the effects. (Normally I would pre-render effects as I add them to see how they will look on the exported file.) The output file size and properties remained the same.

This is where the added export time increased the 93 seconds it took to export the one minute file to H.264 mp4, with no effects added..

1. Cut the sequence into 5 segments. Added 4 film dissolve transitions and a dip to black transition at the start and end of the video.
Export time increased to 2 min. 56 sec (293% of Realtime).

2. Zoomed into different parts of the frame on 4 of the 5 segments.
Export time increased to 3 min. 6 sec (310% of Realtime).

3. Adjusted the lighting (ambient lighting and spotlight) on all 5 segments.
Export time increased to 5 min. 38 sec. (563% of Realtime).
Adjusting the lighting produced the largest incremental increase to the export time.

4. Did color grading with the Fast Color Corrector on all 5 segments.
Export time increased to 6 min. 10 sec (617% of Realtime).

Thank you for your reply, it encouraged me to figure out what was causing the increase above Realtime for my exports. Based on these tests, it seems it is the adding of Premiere Pro effects to the timeline. It also appears my system is set up and functioning properly.

Bob

Return to posts index

by on Mar 11, 2016 at 6:18:43 am

Samuele,
Like many questions asked here, you may not have gotten an answer but you have learned which things did not cause your problem, and the discussion prompted you to find the dust problem. If that was the problem, then maybe heat was the issue. Do you have your desktop tower in a spot where it can get air from all sides (except the bottom)? Anyway, it seems like you are making progress and have had some success already, congratulations. These discussions often start us thinking in ways that bring us to our own solutions.
It is great that you have a lot of work. Are you a profesional video editor? Bob

Return to posts index

by on Mar 14, 2016 at 7:44:35 pm

Hello Bob,

In fact, this discussion has helped me a lot, especially to evaluate where it might be the problem! However I'm not really a professional, basically I only help my father, even though I work in this field for more than 3 years with him, but I'm more inclined to graphics than for the video

Return to posts index

by on Mar 14, 2016 at 11:13:53 pm

Hi Samuele,
Glad you figured out how to get back in production with a new hard drive.
Best of luck.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 10, 2016 at 3:18:25 pm

Hi Samuele,

First off, get a can of compressed air and blow that computer out thoroughly. Nothing kills performance like a clogged up overheated system. I take mine outside, you don't want it all blowing around in the house.

I believe you built the system yourself - after installing Windows, did you go back and install SPECIFIC drivers for motherboard, SATA, USB, etc.?

Windows puts in generic drivers, but if you go to the site of the motherboard maker, they will have specific drivers you can install. Download the latest versions and run them and that can help performance.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

by on Mar 11, 2016 at 4:05:27 pm

Hi Bob,

Good idea with the testing. Your Core i7-870 processor came out in 2009, so unfortunately in "computer years" that makes it pretty old. I believe that was considered "First Gen" for the Core i7 series, with my 2600 being just Second-gen.

From personal experience, I saw a big jump in performance with Premiere going from First to Second-Gen processors. Not so much with later processors, but that first jump was the big one (they build Premiere editing workstations where I work, so I get to try out the different models).

Also, Premiere CS6 does offer the "Mercury GPU Acceleration", but not with the Firepro card. If you want to invest a small amount to help your editing and export performance, a compatible nVidia-based card would do wonders for you.

Consider adding a GTX 750 or 760 card for instance, little over $100 or so. Keep in mind these cards cover TWO slots, so you have to have an empty slot below the PCI-e slot where the GPU goes, and also need a decent power supply to feed it, maybe 400-500 watts min.

I can pretty much guarantee that a Mercury-compatible card will provide noticeable results for you. You want a card with at least 1GB of DDR5 RAM. You might think then that getting the latest 4GB card might then be better yet, but the system has to be balanced - you have an older motherboard and processor, so the full power of a higher-end card would never be realized. Thus I'm suggesting a lower end card more in line with the rest of the system.

The last thing is that Premiere CS6 has an "approved card list" and these GTX cards will not be on it and would not by default be utilized. However, you can modify "the list" to add your card so that Premiere will use it.

https://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/PremiereCS5.htm

One more issue I just realized - do you only have a single internal drive in the system? Adobe, or any NLE for that matter, always recommends a dedicated fast drive just for video - media should not be on the C: drive since that is being used by Windows and apps and they will slow down access to video clips.

You mentioned exporting to a USB 2.0 drive and that is definitely a bottleneck!! If you have space to plug in an internal SATA drive, that would be a good idea for under $100. Should be a high-performance drive like a WD Black (7200rpm, 6Gb SATA, 64mb cache).

Or....consider a new computer. A better-quality Core i7 system with nVidia graphics and such is going to run closer to $2k, however I do find sub-$1K systems online that would do the job and be light-years faster than what you have now.

For instance, Dell has this for $899 - Dell XPS 8700 Desktop Tower, Intel Core i7-4790, 16GB memory, 2TB Hard Drive, NV GTX 745, Windows 10

This would definitely work for Premiere, even has the GTX graphics. I'd connect an external USB 3.0 drive for video storage. I used to buy from "Dell Outlet" years ago and always saved a lot of money, maybe look at that as an option.

If you are a hobbyist and can't justify a PC upgrade, then at least do the GTX card, you will be very glad you did, night and day difference in Premiere behavior when you enable Mercury GPU. And think about faster storage if possible.

Thanks

Jeff

Return to posts index

by on Mar 14, 2016 at 11:35:37 pm

Hi Jeff,
Just saw your response today. I appreciate your comprehensive suggestions. I have saved your response and will utilize your suggestions the next time I upgrade.

I did realize my video card was not on the Adobe list to use the Mercury engine, but I wasn't aware of how much that upgrade would increase the speed of rendering and exporting. I will look for an i7 2600 / GTX 750-60 system the next time I buy a used system on ebay.

I'm a retired unix sys admin and am just a video hobbyist and only create a few videos a year to post on my youtube channel, so the slower export times don't effect me that much. I can let the export run while watching some TV shows or having dinner. But I do enjoy problem solving and testing my system, cameras, software, etc.

Right now I'm using a 500GB usb2 verbatim pocket drive as the second drive to render and export CS6 videos to. Do you think updating to a usb3 pocket drive would be faster or slower than a using a second 7200 SATA drive?

Thanks for sharing your knowlege.

Bob

Return to posts index

by on Mar 14, 2016 at 7:26:18 pm

Hello Jeff,

Motherboard drivers were installed, however in the end the problem was not even the dust, after approximately 2 exports, blue screens again. In the end doing some internet search I read that the hard drive that I had for many people gave problems, so I tried to replace it, I installed Windows 8 and I was able to export what I needed, plus it seems much faster than before. Next week I'll be more relaxed probably I'll try to put a bit under pressure to see what holds up, but right now it seems that the problem is solved! So thank you all for the help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]