ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Need some hardware suggestions please.

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike PerrellaNeed some hardware suggestions please.
by on Mar 4, 2016 at 3:23:44 pm

Hopefully this is a good spot to ask this. I built a system with the help of someone else that is into games and I am now not sure if I should have done it his way as I am having slow rendering/ exporting issues and its getting very frustrating and I have not even messed with 4k which I plan on in the very near future. If I was into gaming Im sure Id love this rig, but I am not and all I really do on this rig is PP CC2015, After Effects, Photoshop, LR and some internet related stuff and that is it. I do use adjustment layers in PP as well as Neat Video Noise Reduction plug in.

My current specs are as follows:

Windows 7 64bit Professional
MOBO - Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
CPU - AMD FX 9590 8 core 4.7GHZ
GPU ( I know this is a little weak ) Sapphire Dual-X R9 280X
RAM - Corsair Vengeance DDR3 16GB (4x4GB) 1866
Cooling Corsair H110 water cooler
PSU - EVGA Supernova 850 G2
2x Crucial MX200 256Gb SSD's
1 WD Black 1TB SATA 64Mb

Plenty of fans to keep her cool.

I was doing lots of research and found that building a server would be ideal. So I went out and bought 2 Intel Xeon E5-2680 CPUs. So I have those and would like to use them. So I am looking for suggestions on mobo, ram and a good video card.

I do Real Estate Videography / Photography, 4k Drone video etc. So waiting longer than necessary is not an option for us. I understand I have to wait for things, but after watching clips of people editing and rendering 4x the speed I am I want that. Like now, I am trying to export a 12+ min clip and I have over 8 hours invested into it and it still has 15% more to go, and thats if it doesnt crash like it has before.

Also, my OS and programs are on 1 of the SSDs. RAW footage is on the other SSD and the completed ones are in the WD drive.

Hope thats all the info needed, if not ask and Ill post what I missed. Thanks so much.

Return to posts index

Jeff PuleraRe: Need some hardware suggestions please.
by on Mar 4, 2016 at 5:58:52 pm

Hi Mike,

Would have been good to post this before building anything. For video editing, you want the Intel Core i7, as AMD performance just doesn't compare with Adobe apps. I might say the same for XEONs - a good Core i7 system can be faster than dual XEONs in many cases.

It might seem that "two processors must be better than one", but not necessarily.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Mike PerrellaRe: Need some hardware suggestions please.
by on Mar 4, 2016 at 6:26:06 pm

Hello Jeff,

Thank you very much for taking the time out to read the post.

I'm actually surprised on what you wrote because I was reading on PPBM that a server was better and they went into a lot of testing behind their claim. The way I understand it is and I could be wrong though but the cores are like lets say PVC pipes, the more the better, the L3 Cache is the size of the pipes and the CPU speeds are how fast the information can run through the pipes. So figuring having 16 cores 32 thread at 20mb L3 cache would be smoking fast. But again, I could be wrong. I've built many of computers before but always had a friend help me with hardware selection as well as tweaking the system for max performance, unfortunately he has since passed away and I don't have that help anymore.

I have no problem starting over and just getting a single I7 if need be and a motherboard and RAM to go with it. I can just sell these Xeons off.

Maybe its back to the drawing board for me as far as my understanding, or what I thought I understood about the Xeons and running 2 of them.

Thanks again,
Mike

Return to posts index

Jeff PuleraRe: Need some hardware suggestions please.
by on Mar 4, 2016 at 6:53:06 pm

Hi Mike,

I'm not a hardware wizard by any means, but I can go by personal experience and all the posts I read on various forums on a daily basis. It's interesting that your take away from reading PPBM was that dual XEONs are better, since guys involved with PPBM are the ones who have posted that Core i7 is better, reasonably certain of that. They take part a lot on the Adobe forums.

Keep in mind that much of the info on PPBM is 3-4 years old, and things change quickly in the computer world.

Just found that the "Monster System" referenced here - http://ppbm7.com/index.php/new-system-build on Nov. 2015 is a Core i7 machine

Thanks

Jeff

Return to posts index

by on Mar 4, 2016 at 10:16:14 pm

Oh maybe I was reading something that was old like you stated, that could be the case. At one point I was so deep into the research I had so many tabs opened that I had no clue where I got to some sites! And so much conflicting info out there.

I will look at that link you sent here in a few. Got to head out in a little. But I did start searching and that 5960x is looking nice. And I am no hardware expert by no means, so thats why its hard for me to make a decision when things are expensive. All I know is I do not want to have the issues I am having now. Its taking 10+ hours to export a 12 min video out. But I keep reading that AMD has no place in video editing. Wish I would have read that before taking that advice, but that fault is all mine and should have looked further into it. But again, when you don't really know what to choose and your talking to someone who def sounds like they know what their doing, its easy to get misguided. Again, he did nothing wrong, he tried to help but he knew gaming more. Live and learn!

Thanks again for your time.

Return to posts index

Tom BlizzardRe: Need some hardware suggestions please.
by on Mar 5, 2016 at 12:37:55 pm

Mike, I didn't see it, if you mentioned it, but you have got to use the Mercury Playback Engine. Check and see if your GPU supports that. MPE makes all the difference in the world.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 5, 2016 at 9:15:42 pm

Hello Tom,

Yes my GPU is supported and is on PP list. And yes I do have the MPE activated. I was talking to someone else about my issues and he is thinking there is possibly an issue with a hardware failure. Everything is working as far as I know, but unfortunately I do not know how to test for it, if my friend was still alive he would know but again I don't have that help anymore.

Is there a program or something I can download to make sure everything is up to par?

Thanks again,
Mike

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Need some hardware suggestions please.
by on Mar 7, 2016 at 9:34:02 pm

[Mike Perrella] "I am having slow rendering/ exporting issues and its getting very frustrating and I have not even messed with 4k which I plan on in the very near future... I do use adjustment layers in PP as well as Neat Video Noise Reduction plug in."

Neat Video works miracles, but it's very computationally expensive. I'd suggest pre-rendering your Neat Video clips and editing with the rendered output.

One secret to faster rendering is better lighting. If you can light better and eliminate the need for Neat Video, you'll get a big performance boost.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]