ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Capture Settings in Premiere Pro

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Barny GreenCapture Settings in Premiere Pro
by on Mar 3, 2016 at 1:26:50 pm

Hi all,

I'm trying to capture in PPro but can't seem to get any more that 1 audio track - a bit of a problem for stereo sources. At the moment it's putting both stereo tracks in 1 audio track so I could duplicate that track and pan them L/R but there must be a better way right...??

I can't find anywhere a tab to select how many tracks I want to capture at any one time.

My set-up is as follows...

BlackMagic UltraStudio Express (via Thunderbolt)
Adobe Premiere 9.2.0
Macbook Pro / OSX 10.9.5

Many thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

Jon DoughtieRe: Capture Settings in Premiere Pro
by on Mar 3, 2016 at 2:03:03 pm

So rather than have one stereo track, you want dual mono tracks?

Easiest way is to modify audio tracks after capture. Right-click the clip ion the bin that you would like to change how the audio tracks are handled, and select "modify --> audio channels"

Then you can change the audio channel setup to your preference. Use a particular setup a great deal? Save it as a preset. I even have a preset entitled "no audio, please".

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2014 (as of 7/2015)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Barny GreenRe: Capture Settings in Premiere Pro
by on Mar 3, 2016 at 2:07:13 pm

What I'd really like is to be able to capture a stereo source as 2 separate tracks. Source left on recorded clip left and source right on recorded clip right...

At the moment I'm getting a split recording but within the the same recorded audio track. If I do as you suggested then I end up with both audio legs on Track 1 and nothing on track 2. If that makes sense..?

Return to posts index

Jeff PuleraRe: Capture Settings in Premiere Pro
by on Mar 3, 2016 at 2:42:23 pm

What I sometimes do is copy/paste the audio to another track. Then apply FILL LEFT to one track and FILL RIGHT to the other, so I have two independent tracks. For instance with a wedding, shotgun and lapel mic recorded on different channels, then I can edit and mix them them individually (with results going to both sides of stereo mix).

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

by on Mar 3, 2016 at 2:48:29 pm

Thanks for that solution Jeff but surely there MUST be a way in Premiere to capture more than 1 audio track....

Surely?!

Why would it automatically take 2 tracks and put them in to 1, what if I was recording 4 separate tracks? Then what would it do?

There must be a setting somewhere to dictate how many tracks are captured? Just as there is in FCP, Avid etc etc

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Capture Settings in Premiere Pro
by on Mar 3, 2016 at 2:53:15 pm

What exactly do you mean by capture? Or do you mean when you're importing stuff? You can set the default import behaviour in Preferences - Audio. You can choose how different audio channels in files are mapped.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 3, 2016 at 2:55:11 pm

Capture - using the capture tool and recording real time.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 3, 2016 at 2:56:54 pm

Are you capturing an HDMI signal?

Return to posts index

by on Mar 3, 2016 at 3:09:27 pm

From the capture window go to to the settings tab and choose edit under the capture settings window. Then choose Blackmagic Capture for the capture format and click settings. I'm not sure what kind of settings you have available but I can set the audio channel capture type there.

http://i.imgur.com/8wA0lN7.png

Return to posts index

by on Mar 3, 2016 at 3:15:45 pm

I can do the same - there are 4 options but not a way of selecting how many tracks are recorded on capture right?

Return to posts index

by on Mar 3, 2016 at 4:16:41 pm

Do you have similar drop down menu as in the screenshot I linked? You can choose 2/8/16 channels in stereo or mono from the audio channel drop down. Note that the Ultrastudio Express is limited to 2 channels over HDMI. You can get the full 16 channels over SDI.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]