ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Why are my 720x480 DVD .vobs coming in as 540x480 ?!?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan KnightWhy are my 720x480 DVD .vobs coming in as 540x480 ?!?
by on Mar 2, 2016 at 7:54:27 pm

Hi, I am trying to import footage from a DVD. I transferred to my hard drive the entire VIDEO_TS folder and was able to import the VTS_01_1.VOB file. However, its showing up as what seems like 4:3 in Premiere Pro. Its properties inside Premiere reveal it as having an image size of 540x480. However, in Windows explorer, it is 720x480. (and I know that would be correct because it was shot in 2014, for TV).

So why is Premiere converting or interpreting it to this crappy 540x480 where the sides are cutoff?

Return to posts index

Jeff PuleraRe: Why are my 720x480 DVD .vobs coming in as 540x480 ?!?
by on Mar 2, 2016 at 9:43:55 pm

Hi Alan,

Try right-clicking the .vob in the Project Bin and use Modify > Interpret options and play with the settings to see if that helps.

You might also try changing the .vob extension to .mpg (and re-import as well).

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Alan KnightRe: Why are my 720x480 DVD .vobs coming in as 540x480 ?!?
by on Mar 2, 2016 at 11:56:38 pm

Hi, Thanks for the suggestion...I changed the file extension outside of Premiere to .mpg but after importing it Premiere showed it with a question mark icon and a status of Offline. However, it showed 720x480 (0.9091) in the video info column.

Because that did not work, I tried doing a Modify-->Interpret on the original .VOB. By default it is set to Use Pixel Aspect Ratio from File (which is a very bizarre 1.185). I cannot change the pixel dimensions to 720 here but I can change the PAR to something else and doing so makes it wider or thinner.

Somehow I don't think this is correct.... I've never had a problem with DVD footage before...

Hopefully more suggestions will come from the community!

Return to posts index

by on Mar 3, 2016 at 1:02:09 am

I wonder if i should use a dedicated program to rip my DVD or convert it to MPG?
Do you think that the problem is because I just copied the VIDEO_TS folder over to my hard drive?

Return to posts index

Geoffrey KfouryRe: Why are my 720x480 DVD .vobs coming in as 540x480 ?!?
by on Mar 3, 2016 at 3:45:37 pm

I would almost certainly go with a designated DVD ripping application at this point. You might have to pay for good quality...I would look at Toast first...not sure if they are still updating a good product.

Geoffrey Ford Kfoury
geoffreykfoury@gmail.com

Return to posts index

by on Mar 3, 2016 at 4:13:30 pm

After spending many hours experimenting, I have finally discovered more info and found a workaround.

All Adobe apps wrongly interpret this footage as 540x480 and crop out the right side. Even when I set the pixel aspect ratio to the extreme 2.0

Using Handbrake, I decided to "wrap" it in an H.264 (x264) .mp4 and lo and behold, not only did it nicely decomb the interlacing from the NTSC footage, but it also is importing properly now in Premiere. Well, almost: 716x478 to be exact.

It's my understanding that in doing so I MAY have reduced image quality a little by doing this, but since filesize is not important (I'm only using parts of this footage for a demo reel), perhaps I export from Handbrake with ALL MAX settings. Personally, I don't notice much difference at this point except that it is properly formatted and decombed - so I'm already happier. Plus, this will be viewed online only...

So is it that terrible that I'm converting (or wrapping) my VOBs in an MP4? Or is that acceptable nowadays? In terms of filesize, the default High Profile settings I used in Handbrake cut my VOB size from 1.5 GB down to 500MB. But as I said before, I could push the settings higher since this is only to get the best source for assembly.

Thoughts from the experienced video editors out there?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]