ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Using AAF files in Premiere & Audition CC 2015

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mike albertiniUsing AAF files in Premiere & Audition CC 2015
by on Mar 1, 2016 at 6:20:59 pm

Hi,

I'm collaborating with someone on a music video recording and he has just told me he is going to record all five microphones in AAF at 24bit at 44.1kHz

As far as I can tell this is the preferred audio format for Pro Tools but not Audition or Premiere.

Is it correct for me to suggest he please record in either WAV or AIFF?

Thanks

Mike

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: Using AAF files in Premiere & Audition CC 2015
by on Mar 1, 2016 at 7:23:09 pm

This might be a bit of a miscommunication....

the individual audio recordings would likely be done in as AIFF.

It is possible for him to export a combination of tracks from Pro Tools as an AAF. This is container file that would contains mutltirack edits....

should be able to open it in audition....

sounds like your pipeline needs a bit more definition....

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

mike albertiniRe: Using AAF files in Premiere & Audition CC 2015
by on Mar 2, 2016 at 4:03:29 pm

Hi Alex,

Thanks for responding to my query.

Ignore the fact I mentioned Pro Tools! He is NOT using Pro tools!

This guy is simply recording a musical performance. I am editing it.

I wont be at the recording myself. I am doing this as a favour to a friend so I asked the guy what format he would be giving us the raw recording in...he said AAF.

I have never heard of AAF - I am a video editor by profession and primarily work with AIFF and WAV.

I googled AAF and the results suggested that this format worked well in Protools but there were loads of posts from people saying they had problems with importing AAF into Premiere/Audition plus various error problems encountered with this format in Adobe software.

I have to to edit this FAST so I cant have a MAYBE as to whether AAF will work with Premiere/Audition.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't just suggest to him that instead of AFF can he please just give me the raw audio files in AIFF or WAV as I know for a fact they will work fine in Adobe Premiere & Audition.

Thanks for your help,

Mike

Return to posts index

mike albertiniRe: Using AAF files in Premiere & Audition CC 2015
by on Mar 2, 2016 at 4:42:02 pm

Hi Alex,

Just to elaborate...I understand what you mean when you say that:

the individual audio recordings would likely be done in as AIFF.

It is possible for him to export a combination of tracks from Pro Tools as an AAF

ie I have read this about AAF and Pro Tools:
AAF is a "session file format," NOT an "audio file format." Other examples of session file formats are Pro Tools, Logic, Digital Performer, and Cubase. Session files contain the mix info, such as the arrangement of audio regions/soundbites, track names, levels, edits etc. Session files are created by Digital Audio Workstations (DAWs) and are usually not compatible with other DAWs.

This is not the same as the "audio file format." Examples of uncompressed audio file formats are WAV, SDII, AIFF etc. In particular, note that "AAF" is NOT the same as "AIFF". Audio files are independent from session files for very good reason, since session files are not an open standard. Open, uncompressed audio file formats such as WAV and SDII are widely adopted and interchangeable.

And this about AFF and Apple Logic:

https://documentation.apple.com/en/logicpro/usermanual/index.html#chapter=3...

Is it not possible for him to just give me the individual files as AIFF from the five micorphones?

He wont have done anything to them except just recorded them into his computer.

He mentioned he uses Apple Logic so he might be recording straight into there...

But can he not just then export each track as an AIFF so i can then use them inside of Audition with no problems?

Thanks,

Mike

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: Using AAF files in Premiere & Audition CC 2015
by on Mar 2, 2016 at 5:18:56 pm

Hi...

yes, he can export each track as a AIFF or WAV

all trax should be from his time 0

so it's easy line up for you....

if he is responsible for the final MIX?

why can't he send you a 2 track stereo master of the final and call it a day?

and you have to add your nat sound to it...

you could always send him stems of your audio trax and he can add that to his mix for a rev'd master after you cut?

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]