ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

"record" video/stills into Premiere Pro in the same as recording audio?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amy Young"record" video/stills into Premiere Pro in the same as recording audio?
by on Feb 26, 2016 at 6:14:54 pm

I'd like to use a graphics tablet to sketch notes (or to-do items like, "crop this here ->") in the timeline, on separate layers from the clips/footage. (Similar to the way I might mark up a PDF with notes.)

An analogy would be how Premiere Pro can enable some audio tracks to record sound input.

Is there something similar for video?

Or maybe there's another way to put "to do"s right on the timeline? As I'm watching an edit?

My current workaround is to import a Photoshop doc with several "blank" layers (just a few pixels in the bottom corner) then work between PS and PPro - I sketch something in PS with my graphics tablet, then PPro updates the layer from a few pixels to whatever sketch I draw.

It works, but it's clunky to have several layers that I may or may not use, and have to round-trip to PS. (Creating titles for each note/to-do is even slower than this method...basically as I watch an edit, I have impulses and want to quickly record them, but not on another piece of paper where I have to write timecodes, layers, etc. Putting it right on the timeline would save me time.)

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: "record" video/stills into Premiere Pro in the same as recording audio?
by on Feb 26, 2016 at 6:40:04 pm

Hi...

have you considered adding markers?

you set a keyboard shortcut...

you can color code them (say Red or maybe diff colors have dif fix meanings)

and you've got the markers panel to allow easy review and navigation?

won't do drawn annotation tho...

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

Paul NeumannRe: "record" video/stills into Premiere Pro in the same as recording audio?
by on Feb 27, 2016 at 2:59:46 pm

Remember Clip?

Return to posts index

Amy YoungRe: "record" video/stills into Premiere Pro in the same as recording audio?
by on Feb 27, 2016 at 3:11:30 pm

Thanks - I don't understand this. I websearched and looked at the menus for PPro, but don't know what "Remember Clip" means.

Return to posts index

Amy YoungRe: "record" video/stills into Premiere Pro in the same as recording audio?
by on Feb 27, 2016 at 3:10:23 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it like your picture, but I am looking for something that will show up in the frame, so if I share the rough cut with someone else, they can know what I was aiming for, or planning to do. Having it on another layer means I could turn off the "annotations" as desired. I don't know how to make markers show up in the frame.

Return to posts index

Paul NeumannRe: "record" video/stills into Premiere Pro in the same as recording audio?
by on Feb 28, 2016 at 8:20:10 pm

Sorry about that. Clip was a thing Premiere use to have where you sent an approval via pdf with an embedded .mov or .avi. Whenever the viewer paused the playback a comment window would appear for text to be entered. Then the clip was "returned" to the sender via .xml and all that data would show up in your timeline as markers with comments. Not sure when they killed it. I had one producer that knew how to use it. I also had one producer that forwarded the pdf to about 30 people in the agency who all felt the need to reply.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 1, 2016 at 2:53:07 pm

I think they killed it when they got 30 notes from 25 people ;[)

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: "record" video/stills into Premiere Pro in the same as recording audio?
by on Feb 29, 2016 at 3:51:33 pm

Hi Amy,

click the wrench in the record viewer...

go to overlay settings

in one of the screen quadrant sections choose "markers" from the drop down list

then on the wrench menu enable "overlays"

you should end up with something like this

Alex Udell

Return to posts index

by on Mar 1, 2016 at 2:52:34 pm

Good suggestion - thanks!

Return to posts index

Herb SevushRe: "record" video/stills into Premiere Pro in the same as recording audio?
by on Mar 1, 2016 at 12:45:38 pm

[Amy Young] "I'd like to use a graphics tablet to sketch notes (or to-do items like, "crop this here ->") in the timeline, on separate layers from the clips/footage. (Similar to the way I might mark up a PDF with notes.)"

Lovely idea, you should send in a request to the Ppro team.

https://adobe.allegiancetech.com/cgi-bin/qwebcorporate.dll?58HS6A

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

by on Mar 1, 2016 at 2:58:03 pm

Here's my current implementation. A bit clunky, but you get the idea. I have both a graphics tablet and an iPad. Since my graphics tablet is a Cintiq, I would love to be able to draw right on a frame. My intermediate workflow is to draw on a layer in a Photoshop document that's linked to the PPro timeline. It updates immediately, so that's nice. This workflow also works with my iPad, running Duet. I just a stylus to sketch.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 1, 2016 at 4:09:44 pm

Thinking more, by far, the easiest thing would be to add a brush tool to the Titler. :-)

Return to posts index

by on Mar 1, 2016 at 4:56:11 pm

Hi Amy...

"Thinking more, by far, the easiest thing would be to add a brush tool to the Titler. :-)"

Yeah....except it's not time indexed....so it still requires editing.

All your methods (which work for you)...actually effect the structure of the edit....and create additional assets in the bin...etc...

I get that markers aren't the visual or tablet driven annotation you hoped for.

Have you considered something like frameio?

https://frame.io/features

it's got a pretty cool annotation setup and the whole thing is designed for collaboration....you could work from an tablet or a wacom...and from "wherever" you happen to be.

It sort of has you in mind.

hth....

Alex Udell

Return to posts index

by on Mar 7, 2016 at 3:01:28 pm

You know what could be very cool....

right now...you can open a .mov in Photoshop and do video painting.

What if you could use Dynamic Link...

and open a Premiere Pro Project....?

do your mark ups and then just save it as a .PSD...

then someone can just open the .PSD and see all the markup?

that would be a cool way to do it...

then you don't actually mess with the PPro Project...

all the mark up is actually in the PSD....

Alex Udell

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]