ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Looking For Best/Great Codecs To Aid Workflow!

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sibel ZivyLooking For Best/Great Codecs To Aid Workflow!
by on Feb 24, 2016 at 5:12:02 am

Hello all, Sibel Here I'm a fairly armature user in pp's rendering process
but over the last 4 days I've been experimenting with some 3rd party codecs.
Among the few I managed to go through based on AVI, H264, MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 codecs.

The codecs I've used are as follows.
Matorx
x264vfw
Lagarith(lossless)
MagicYUV(lossless)

Now they all function great on screen, but it's on the timeline that issues snag my guts, especially when scrubbing.

Matrox is somewhat ok but it needs higher(~80-120Mbps) bit-rates to perform as well as H264, Lagarith is absolute but my HDD data transfer can't handle it (197Mbpps on Velociraptor WD HDD), hence the name LAGarith I guess.

Finally Magic, which is wonderful but I can't mange to scrub through it properly, although it comes with it separate encoder that compresses and decompresses it as I edit through it.

As far as I know, they all seem great but I'm lacking on performance.
My goal is to, import my raw files clip and edit my way through them and export without facing any latency or lag.

My system is as follows
CPU 4930k 3.90 Ghz 6>12cores
RAM 16Gb ram @1600
VGA GTX 760 2GB @ 1137 Mhz on 192.2 GB/s of MB.
HDD 1tb of 192Mb/s @10,000 RPM

It's a fairly decent rig, for what I hope to accomplish with it.

I would wholeheartedly appreciate the aid in finding a really decent codec in which I could record in or encode to that'll help with editing workflow, consider a full edit tune-up in mind not just film and scissors, but expect lights, shadows and beyond, yet the goal is to do this in raw form of the file, so thanks!

Sincerely
Sibel

Return to posts index

Sibel ZivyRe: Looking For Best/Great Codecs To Aid Workflow!
by on Feb 24, 2016 at 5:15:52 am

Yes, I forgot to mention I want to completely avoid compressed media because it's a huge burden especially with long/large files.

So, just to clarify, I need a non-compressed High-quality codec that isn't heavy on the system, that's what I'm really wishing for.

Return to posts index

David BaudRe: Looking For Best/Great Codecs To Aid Workflow!
by on Feb 24, 2016 at 5:34:22 am

I am guessing your computer is PC based? Windows OS? what kind of project do you work on? what kind of frame size/frame rate do you work with?

Unless you are working for project showing in large venues (theater, exhibition hall, etc...) and/or dealing with a lot of VFX and compositing, I think working in uncompressed format might be overkill.

I would recommend you use an intra-frame codec with light compression which will be best for PrP to handle. Depending on your OS, I would recommend Quicktime ProRes on Apple computer, and AVID DNxHD or GOPRO Cineform on PC computer. These codecs give you a wide range of compression options, which you can select depending on your project.

HTH,

David Baud
Post & VFX
KOSMOS PRODUCTIONS
Denver - Paris
http://www.kosmos-productions.com

Return to posts index

Jon DoughtieRe: Looking For Best/Great Codecs To Aid Workflow!
by on Feb 24, 2016 at 7:39:00 pm

I only see one hard drive listed. Do you have a system drive and a separate media drive? If not, you will continue to be disappointed.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2014 (as of 7/2015)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 24, 2016 at 9:58:48 pm

I have 4-HDD's in total I just use the mentioned for cache files and recorded video.
I use the other three respectively for miscellaneous files, exports and
project files.

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Looking For Best/Great Codecs To Aid Workflow!
by on Feb 24, 2016 at 7:46:50 pm

I agree with David, but if you really need lossless for multigenerational stuff and you can't get a raid, consider
QuickTime png codec. It's 8 bit like lagarith. Or png seq 1-2 mb/sec/fr

Have you ever considered proxies like prores dhxhd cineform? That makes more sense than trying to work full res with slow hd!

Return to posts index

by on Feb 24, 2016 at 8:58:00 pm

I use 1080/720p with 30 and 60 fps, I have 4-HDD's and one SSD for program installation.
But I use the 1tb velociraptor for cache files and original recordings..
That's it, I likeed lossless codecs because they're a breeze to scrub through on the timeline, I could never go through my timeline as smoothly with H264.

That why I came here asking for advice

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]