ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Can't export with alpha channel in Premiere Pro anymore?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Duke SwedenCan't export with alpha channel in Premiere Pro anymore?
by on Feb 24, 2016 at 12:43:36 am

I checked a ton of youtube videos and adobe's forum, and it appears you can't export video with an alpha channel anymore in PPro. There's always the idiot or two who demonstrates how to do it with titles (which are already transparent!!!) or images, but no video.

What about the people who don't have After Effects? Why did Adobe remove that feature? Or is there another hidden way (like they did with garbage mattes) of rendering video w/alpha channels?

Return to posts index

Vince BecquiotRe: Can't export with alpha channel in Premiere Pro anymore?
by on Feb 24, 2016 at 1:00:18 am

Hi duke,

I've exported alpha channel footage just 2 days ago from Premiere. I usually use Prores 444 at 32 bits, or Quicktime PNG.

Make sure you choose at least 32 bits as your depth.

Vince Becquiot

Indigo Live | Kaptis Media

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

Duke SwedenRe: Can't export with alpha channel in Premiere Pro anymore?
by on Feb 24, 2016 at 1:05:26 am

Hey Vince. Thanks for responding. I guess you don't know about me and my "work" ;-) I don't shoot Prores, I shoot h264. I'm a total amateur, I just do this for fun. I did set my export depth to 32 bits. I tried Quicktime with "animation" codec (or preset?). I tried GoPro w/alpha. That didn't even work. The quicktime produces a partially transparent background, like I've done a half assed key, for example. It doesn't block out the garbage matte at all.

Is it because of my compressed h264 footage? I have no problem rendering with alpha channel out of After Effects.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 24, 2016 at 1:17:58 am

Hi Duke,

That's odd, what version of Premiere are you on? I honestly never liked garbage matte, it's pretty buggy and I never tried alpha exports with them.

On CC2014-2015, you have access to real masks (under opacity) that will work with alpha exports.

Vince Becquiot

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

by on Feb 24, 2016 at 3:06:16 am

Hey Vince,
I'm using PPro CC 2015 with the latest update. When I say garbage matte, that's what I've always heard them referred to as. Remember, I'm just an old guy who plays around with this stuff as a hobby. I do use the mask under Opacity to create my, uh, garbage mattes ;-)

Return to posts index

by on Feb 24, 2016 at 3:08:31 am

Great, then you should be fine. Do try Prores 444 @ 32 as export, that always works for me.

Anything else on the timeline or effects that could be creating issues?

Vince

Vince Becquiot

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

by on Feb 24, 2016 at 3:18:58 am

No, I'm just trying a straight keyed out 10 second clip with just a LUT added in the Lumetri Creative panel. If your suggestion doesn't work I'll try removing the LUT and report back.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 24, 2016 at 3:21:47 am

EDIT: I just noticed that I do not have the prores option in my formats or presets. Will try quicktime again with no Lumetri LUT.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 24, 2016 at 3:35:33 am

ok, no go. Same result.
This is what it looks like in PPro, and the rendered result grabbed from Media Player

Return to posts index

by on Feb 24, 2016 at 3:57:40 am

Sorry for the multiple posts, there doesn't seem to be an edit function here. Anyway, I just tried keying and rendering another clip that I shot the other day but I got the same result so it wasn't a problem with the clip I had been using. Don't pull your hair out trying to figure this out. I can still render out of After Effects. Plus I'm pretty sure it must be the compression of the original h264 video file that's causing the problem.
Cheers!

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Can't export with alpha channel in Premiere Pro anymore?
by on Feb 24, 2016 at 4:25:04 am

i just did an image sequence the other day with PNG sequence with alpha channel(millions +(the plus sign). you can set as straight or premult.

the advantage is that you won't lose any quality. I'll check the other codecs and see if there's any bugs! there just might be...

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Can't export with alpha channel in Premiere Pro anymore?
by on Feb 24, 2016 at 4:54:04 am

ok so far everything works: I just tested these from premiere to media encoder back into AE.

PNG seq
quicktime cineform go pro rgba
jpeg 2000 4444
Tiff straight matte

Return to posts index

by on Feb 24, 2016 at 12:45:55 pm

Thanks again, Chris, for taking the time to try and figure this out. But, doesn't using a PNG sequence result in hundreds or thousands of individual image files? I can see guys like you all dealing with that but I never saw the need for me with my limited drive space.

As I said, I'm more than satisfied with having to use After Effects for exporting alpha channels if need be. Plus it seems like I'm the only one having this problem anyway, so even the greater good won't be helped ;-)

Again, thanks for your time. Much appreciated.
Cheers!

Return to posts index

by on Feb 24, 2016 at 12:58:55 pm

Thanks again, Chris, for taking the time to try and figure this out. But, doesn't using a PNG sequence result in hundreds or thousands of individual image files? I can see guys like you all dealing with that but I never saw the need for me with my limited drive space. Plus I've always wondered how to work with PNG's. Do you drag all 1,000 files into the timeline? Sorry, just thinking to myself ;-)

As I said, I'm more than satisfied with having to use After Effects for exporting alpha channels. Plus it seems like I'm the only one having this problem anyway, so even the greater good won't be helped ;-)

Again, thanks for your time. Much appreciated.
Cheers!

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Can't export with alpha channel in Premiere Pro anymore?
by on Feb 24, 2016 at 2:10:43 pm

[Duke Sweden] ". Plus I've always wondered how to work with PNG's. Do you drag all 1,000 files into the timeline?"

When importing image sequences with continuous numbering you would just check the "image sequence" checkbox in the import window.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 24, 2016 at 2:15:02 pm

Thanks, Tero, but once imported do you have to place all of them into the timeline or does it become one big file. The short clip I tried out, about 14 seconds, did produce a clean alpha channel, but there were 437 images, 2.08 mgs each.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 24, 2016 at 2:18:24 pm

Nevermind, I just did it and it does combine them into one file. Great!
Thanks everybody!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]