ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

New Sequence settings

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Trevor WardNew Sequence settings
by on Feb 22, 2016 at 6:44:24 pm

What settings are you all using when creating a new sequence? Seems to me there are THREE places where settings can be chosen and the beauty of PP is that they can all be different. But those choices have far more implications than they might otherwise imply. Specifically I'm talking about codec settings.

We can change our settings of the sequence in the timeline (Editing Mode), the preview files, and once again at export.

I know many of you probably make the Editing Mode settings of your sequence the SAME as the settings of the footage: DSLR, AVCHD, XDCAM EX, etc. But editing in a long GOP codec like AVCHD can slow down your system. In the old FCP days you can have your timeline be a ProRes timeline, which allowed your system to move quickly. But that's not an option for us in PP.

I've just been given some 4K RED footage and I don't know what settings I should have for my Editing Mode or Previews. Someone shed some light on this for me please. Does Editing Mode codec matter?

-Trevor F. Ward
Red Eye Film Co.
http://www.redeyefilmco.com
http://www.MemoriesofGuantanamo.com

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: New Sequence settings
by on Feb 22, 2016 at 8:56:06 pm

Depending on your thought process...

Timeline Resolution can be

1) Same as Source if it's homogeneous
2) Whatever you want to make your master for multiple deliverables

Regardless and independent of that you should be able to set your Preview Codec.

ProRes should be an option for that if you'd like to use it.

The more of your timeline you force to render in that Preview Codec can benefit you on the export, assuming you also export to a "SAME" ProRes Master, where PPro can reuse those ProRes Previews on Export.

I say "force" because, as you know, it's not always necessary to Render to see something in PPro. So if there is no preview of something displayed in real time, then you won't have the export benefit for those parts of the timeline, which can weigh down the export process.

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

Trevor WardRe: New Sequence settings
by on Feb 22, 2016 at 9:01:40 pm

Thanks for reply Alex,

However, I'm not talking about resolution nor frame rate. I'm specifically talking about coded. Just because I shot in AVCHD doesn't mean I will want my editing codec to be AVCHD. That codec and many others are long GOP and require a lot of processor to "edit" with them. I know it's become passe to no longer transcode the camera files into ProRes, but aren't we just moving the slow down from one part of our process to a different part by NOT doing so?

-Trevor F. Ward
Red Eye Film Co.
http://www.redeyefilmco.com
http://www.MemoriesofGuantanamo.com

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: New Sequence settings
by on Feb 22, 2016 at 10:16:00 pm

Hi Trevor,

I think you have to look at the project scope and your computing power on hand to answer your question.

Certainly on legacy hardware, or with limited ram or GPU involvement, budgeting transcoding on the front end would give some peace of mind during editorial and exporting. This might be helpful if creatively, you tend to be stifled in cases where things get weighed down or you can see that you will be intend on effects heavy operations that will certainly repeatedly push you to a render state during creative decision making.

Also in those cases, if you are going to be client supervised, and don't want to be "rendering constantly" to edit. Then it might be worthwhile.

So it's all about the context you find yourself in.

The difference these days is that it's no longer a requirement.

Hence you asking the question.

What was true of Prores in FCP is true of it in PPro. It's a non GOP format so easy on the decode. File sizes are larger so plays better on local drives then over the network. And if your previews match the output master, then it will save some time in export.

The difference, then, is do you transcode all at the start. Or selectively during the edit via the "Render Effects in to out" and "Render In To Out" ? I guess I can't really answer that for you. But you can ponder and do some tests up front to see what you think.

HTH,

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]