ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Transferring .mts files to editor - best format

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick MurphyTransferring .mts files to editor - best format
by on Feb 20, 2016 at 7:58:09 pm

I'm delivering several gigs of video to a client that was shot AVCHD on various cameras including a GoPro.
Before delivery I'd like to rename original clips, and sort them into a few folders to make the editor's job easier.
So I want to move the files to a more portable/edit friendly format than .mts
Likely as not I'll use Prelude to do this. The editor is on a Mac, I'm on a PC.
So the question is what is the recommended delivery format? And is Prelude really the best tool for the job?

Return to posts index

Paul NeumannRe: Transferring .mts files to editor - best format
by on Feb 20, 2016 at 8:38:20 pm

Prelude's a great tool for this. So you're going to transcode all the clips? Just select the clips and have Prelude put them in a unique folder along with renaming them.

Return to posts index

Patrick MurphyRe: Transferring .mts files to editor - best format
by on Feb 22, 2016 at 2:17:30 am

Thanks so much for your response. Fortunately I understand how to use Prelude.
But my question remains that if one is handing off AVCHD files and wants to untangle the native .mts files to simple self-contained unique media files without compromising them (except maybe timecode) what are the best alternative formats? ProRes is not an option, I'm on a PC.

I know Cineform is a great option and maybe the gold standard. But I want to preserve the relatively small file size of the original AVCHD. My guess is that a straight h.264 at 30 MbS would suffice.
Does anyone care to argue there's a better alternative?

Return to posts index

Paul NeumannRe: Transferring .mts files to editor - best format
by on Feb 22, 2016 at 2:07:27 pm

Is it that big of a deal to give them the .mts? You can make select AVCHD files just by copying through Prelude. Or if you really want transcode them all I'd suggest DNxHD.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]