ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Premiere Broadcast Export IRE Inconsistent with Timeline Playback

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob DavisPremiere Broadcast Export IRE Inconsistent with Timeline Playback
by on Feb 18, 2016 at 9:01:44 pm

I am trying to export a 1080i 29.97 ProResHQ broadcast deliverable. The luma is within limits on my Flanders Scientific monitor's scopes when playing back the Premiere CC timeline but when reviewing the exported file in Sony Catalyst Browse, it's showing the brightest highlights as over 100 IRE and illegal. Also tried exporting h.264 and found the same problem.

Any idea of a possible cause?

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: Premiere Broadcast Export IRE Inconsistent with Timeline Playback
by on Feb 18, 2016 at 11:34:38 pm

Not sure I'd trust the Sony browser for this. What capture card/IO do you have? BMD and AJA have apps for playback, try one of them and see what it says.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rob DavisRe: Premiere Broadcast Export IRE Inconsistent with Timeline Playback
by on Feb 25, 2016 at 11:30:21 pm

Thanks for the reply, Shane. Blackmagic Media Express crashes on my system so I can't test on that but I'm pretty sure there is something happening on Premiere export. Even when I import the file right back into Premiere I see the highlights bleeding over 100 IRE (see photos).

Return to posts index

by on Feb 26, 2016 at 12:04:58 am

Note: This is only happening when I export MPEG2 (though I'm sure I noticed it with another codec), not prores or h264.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 26, 2016 at 6:35:32 pm

Another clue:

Now I'm really confused. I tried exporting a ProResHQ version from Premiere (which had correct IRE values) and then converted it to a 35mb/s XDCAM MPEG2 in MPEG Streamclip. I imported that XDCAM version back into Premiere and again, parts of the image were bumped over 100 IRE.

On closer inspection, I can see that random pixels within the highlight areas are responsible for the clipping. These are photos of my Flanders monitor's LUM color setup to show 0-100 IRE as grey and 100+ as Red. Notice the random red pixels in the closeup of the reflection on the water.

Obviously, I don't care if these pixels are clipped on broadcast but don't want to fail QC.

Is this a known issue related to XDCAM? I never noticed a problem before.

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Premiere Broadcast Export IRE Inconsistent with Timeline Playback
by on Feb 26, 2016 at 8:03:39 pm

I believe your issue is color management since the issue only pops up with MPEG2, I suggest:

1. premiere's lumetri with rec. 709 LUT burned out to mpeg 2 preset in adobe media encoder. I don't see why your using streamclip in the first place.
2. AE's utility profile converter set to input rec. 709 16 output rec.709 255
3. another mpeg2 encoder from another master codec
4. a custom LUT inside premiere to convert the values correctly from
streamclip. dispcal
5. try handbrake since streamclip has bugs in it

Return to posts index

by on Feb 26, 2016 at 8:15:29 pm

Thanks for your suggestions. To clarify, I only used Streamclip only for a second test after encountering the issue with the initial media encoder export (and also direct export from premiere).

I've used LUTS extensively working with LOG footage but haven't used them much for broadcast workflow color management. Am I correct in understanding I can incorporate a LUT in my Media Encoder export to conform the MPEG2 to Rec.709. Can you elaborate on that? Forgive my naivety on the subject and thanks again!

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Premiere Broadcast Export IRE Inconsistent with Timeline Playback
by on Feb 27, 2016 at 2:41:17 am

i haven't been able to reproduce your problem. do you have a png image you could share or a small corner of it?
what is the original footage? is it XDCAM? I will look for a bug if I can.
We need to nail down when the color changes, if its from a codec or something else.

So please try rendering out to png and importing that back in to see if there's any color change.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 29, 2016 at 10:36:32 pm

Thanks for your help, Chris.

Here are PNG's of another example. Just as in the previous case, the ProRes422HQ export is fine but the XDCam EX 1080i60 35mb/s VBR has a few pixels pushing past 100IRE. And like last time, this also happens if I convert the ProRes export to XDCAM in Streamclip, so it isn't unique to Premiere, I don't think.

ProRes422 HQ:

XDCAM:

XDCAM (converted in Streamclip from ProRes Export):

I also just encountered another render error that could be related. This section of my audio had a 1-sample spike that didn't exist on the timeline. And this is rendering in ProRes!

Return to posts index

by on Feb 29, 2016 at 10:51:33 pm

logically, if the prores looks fine in AE but you export to XDCam and it immediately creates issues, the problem is basically XDCam as a codec, both for exporting and importing.

I would try one last thing before submitting a bug report to rule out any possible prores issues.

1. render out the original prores into a test 30 frame PNG sequence.
2. handbrake the audio to uncompressed PCM wave.
3. combine the PNG sequence and PCM wave file together in AE or premiere and render out to XDCAM to see any issues.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 3, 2016 at 5:48:33 pm

Did the test but same result. Highlights in final XDCAM made in AE had clipped pixels.

Interestingly, at least one of the PNG frame's highlights was clipped upon immediate import back into Premiere, without XDCAM in the mix. This is happening with multiple formats: Sony XAVC, Gopro h264, Canon h264, etc. I'm going to try upgrading soon (I'm on v9). Hopefully, Adobe will have worked some of these bugs out without introducing too many new ones (like last time I updated).

I'm also hoping they will have addressed the myriad of issues related to the audio track mixer and Media Encoder exports and several other things.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 3, 2016 at 10:50:22 pm

imho, "at least one of the PNG frame's highlights was clipped upon immediate import back into Premiere" = BAD Prores file.

the audio transient also gave it away.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 4, 2016 at 12:57:26 am

Bad ProRes file on the timeline? It's all hvac and h.264 quicktime.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 4, 2016 at 12:58:36 am

*I mean XAVC (long gop)

What happened to the edit button on this thing?

Return to posts index

by on Mar 4, 2016 at 1:44:36 am

yes, XAVC. haha that's what I meant.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]