ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

I have a pretty high spec PC but editing 4k in premiere is struggling.

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
david hareI have a pretty high spec PC but editing 4k in premiere is struggling.
by on Feb 18, 2016 at 2:11:17 pm

Hi all im hoping someone can give me some advice. I have a pretty high spec PC but when im editing 4K from the Black Magic either in MOV or RAW it seems to struggle. my specs are

Windows 7 professional
64Gb Ram
Titan X
Intel i7-3930K CPU @3.20GHz
2 western digital 6Tb black in a raid.
SSD for windows and adobe.
hybrid for adobe Chache

Im just wondering if its the way its set up or if im missing something.

Cheers

Return to posts index

Jeff PuleraRe: I have a pretty high spec PC but editing 4k in premiere is struggling.
by on Feb 18, 2016 at 3:02:27 pm

Hi David,

Is Mercury GPU Hardware Rendering enabled? Have you tried setting the Program Monitor resolution to 1/2?

Your PC specs certainly look more than adequate! Which version of Premiere?

In general, when using any card-based format in Premiere, make sure to copy the entire contents of the card to a folder on your hard drive, keeping entire folder structure intact. There is "metadata" which is crucial to Premiere located inside. Then import into Premiere using "Media Browser" rather than "File > Import". I've seen this improve playback for AVCHD and such, maybe it will help you if not already doing this.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: I have a pretty high spec PC but editing 4k in premiere is struggling.
by on Feb 18, 2016 at 3:03:18 pm

Hi....

the overall cpu spec is quite good.

RAW 4k sounds like you drives won't keep up with that.

When you say .mov, what codec?

How is the RAID attached to your system?

My guess is that the data rate is too high for a 2 drive array.

You might flip the footage to GoProCienform, ProRes, or DNXHD, to reduce the demand on your drives and it's connection to your CPU.

hth,

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

Tim KolbRe: I have a pretty high spec PC but editing 4k in premiere is struggling.
by on Feb 22, 2016 at 11:45:34 pm

I think Alex is thinking the same way I am...those two 6 TB drives may be the bottleneck.

RAW will certainly tax a processor, but depending on what the format of the .mov files are, they may be quite large...

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Video Producer at I-CAR

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]