ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Premiere running in Windows does not recognize XAVC-I files ingested by FCP X

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben EstabrookPremiere running in Windows does not recognize XAVC-I files ingested by FCP X
by on Feb 17, 2016 at 3:33:10 am

Hello,

I am working remotely with an editor who is using Premiere CC 2015 on Windows 10. I sent him XAVC-I footage that I shot on an FS-7 that was imported using Final Cut Pro X, so all of the files are QuickTimes. When he attempts to import the footage into Premiere or AME, he gets the error, "... .mov could not be imported. The source file has an invalid codec. Please check that it is a valid file."

He has been able to successfully import the footage into Premiere running on a Mac, so this appears to be specific to Premiere in Windows. We're dealing with hundreds of files and tens of hours of footage, so I'm hoping there is an easy fix for this.

Thanks in advance for any insights! And apologizes for cross-posting...

Ben

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Premiere running in Windows does not recognize XAVC-I files ingested by FCP X
by on Feb 17, 2016 at 5:16:25 am

[Ben Estabrook] "was imported using Final Cut Pro X, so all of the files are QuickTimes"

So FCPX is doing something to the files when it's importing them? What codec do these files use? If it's Prores you can get the free decoder for it and if it's something Apple specific there either isn't a way to use them or it'll be some special codec pack that will have a cost.

Return to posts index

Oliver PetersRe: Premiere running in Windows does not recognize XAVC-I files ingested by FCP X
by on Feb 17, 2016 at 1:06:22 pm

It probably has nothing to do with FCPX, but rather whether QT on the two systems has this codec installed. On the Mac, it was installed as part of the package that FCPX uses. No such codec component has been installed into QT on the Windows machine. Plus, the inherent Premiere install is most likely expecting XAVC-l as MXF wrapped (I'm guessing). So it could probably read the native camera files, but not the rewrapped .mov.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Ben EstabrookRe: Premiere running in Windows does not recognize XAVC-I files ingested by FCP X
by on Feb 17, 2016 at 10:40:25 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses. FCP X is not transcoding the footage to ProRes, it's just wrapping the files as QuickTimes. The codec is XAVC-I. Oliver, as you say, I think the issue is that the XAVC-I codec is not installed on the PC. Is it possible to obtain the XAVC-I codec for QuickTime for Windows anywhere? Or, does anyone know of a good MOV to MXF rewrapper? I've found this product from Calibrated Software that seems like a good tool for the job, the price is just a little steep:

http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/Products/MXFImportV3/MXFImport.php

thanks!
Ben

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]