ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Searching footage using metadata across multiple systems

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric UthusSearching footage using metadata across multiple systems
by on Feb 15, 2016 at 11:53:22 pm

We're editing a project right now using PPro CC 2015 in which all the footage is stored on our office wide server. Our editors need to be able to search through all the footage to find whatever clips they need. The problem I'm having is finding a system that works to solve this issue.

I initially thought Bridge/metadata would be the solution. As an experiment, I added some keywords to a couple clips on our server, and any subsequent searches in Bridge using those keywords brought the correct results. However, when I tried doing the same thing on another computer, there were no results.

After some googling, I thought that this was a cache issue. As a further experiment, I changed the cache to a folder on the server for two different computers to see if that would change things, and it hasn't. One computer would bring up the correct results, the other would bring up none.

The other issue I have is that our footage is stored across multiple RAIDs, and when I try to conduct the same search at the topmost level of the server, it produces no results, meaning our editors would have to do the same search for each RAID that contains footage.

I'm not even sure Bridge is the correct solution to this problem, but I could really use some advice on managing large quantities of footage that can be searchable across multiple systems on a network/server.

Thanks,

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: Searching footage using metadata across multiple systems
by on Feb 16, 2016 at 9:58:52 am

Hi Eric,

I'm a big fan of Bridge. But I will admit that I have run into exactly your issues on our team. It's really not designed for groups.

Querying across multiple network volumes is particularly frustrating.

I've not really made a decision yet, but I've been looking at the the following:

http://www.axlevideo.com/

might be worth your time to look into....

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]