ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Pr CC 2015 & MacOS X 10.11.3/Nvidia GTX 680MX - Timeline now freezing up on playback

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Al BergsteinPr CC 2015 & MacOS X 10.11.3/Nvidia GTX 680MX - Timeline now freezing up on playback
by on Feb 11, 2016 at 8:49:44 pm

So Pr was working fine with iMac 27" Late 2012, OS X 10.10, 16GBs RAM, Nvidia GTX 680MX 2MB RAM.

I'm on my first project since upgrading to El Capitan (OS X 10.11.3). I have also updated my Nvidia drivers to the latest Mac OS version. CUDA 7.5.25 (and was using an earlier one before).

I'm experiencing a new bug. All goes well for a while in editing, but in playback, Pr will freeze up on playback, at different points along the timeline. I can still pull down menus, but they don't do anything. I cannot save or quit. (quit is grayed out). I have to Force Quit to exit Pr and can then start up again.

This is new behavior. I'm still using the same MTS files I've always shot with, along with JPGs.

Has anyone else started experiencing this in El Capitan with CC 15?

Also, my memory shows I'm nowhere near 10 MBs let alone 16.

The machine was flawless for months with Pr through a variety of upgrades to the OS and CUDA.

All project software stored on an ESDI drive which has not been a problem. I connect it to a TB converter. Have had no problems with that either on many projects.

The Mac is rock solid other than this.

thoughts?

Al

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Pr CC 2015 & MacOS X 10.11.3/Nvidia GTX 680MX - Timeline now freezing up on playback
by on Feb 11, 2016 at 9:47:04 pm

Run the Blackmagic or AJA disk speed test on that ESDI drive and publish the results here please Al. How old is that drive? And, you're certain it's an ESDI drive?

Also, is that ESDI drive your media drive?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Al BergsteinRe: Pr CC 2015 & MacOS X 10.11.3/Nvidia GTX 680MX - Timeline now freezing up on playback
by on Feb 11, 2016 at 9:56:28 pm

I'll try and do that tomorrow David. Yes, it's been fine and I ran a disk check on it.

I may be onto something. My machine is 16GBs. I show around the time of the crashing, that Memory Used is at about 8GB and Cached files shows about 7. I'm wondering if I'm running out of memory on this? I had a similar thing happen when I topped 8GBS on Windows some time back. I did just order 32 GBs of RAM for it, and it should be here tomorrow. I'll see if that changes anything. I don't understand what the cached files is used for as opposed to swap files (I know the difference but not how Pr uses the two).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Al

Al

Return to posts index

Al BergsteinRe: Pr CC 2015 & MacOS X 10.11.3/Nvidia GTX 680MX - Timeline now freezing up on playback
by on Feb 11, 2016 at 10:06:12 pm

I just ran the speed test on the RAID 5 ESDI drive. I'm showing 129MB writes per second and as high as 163 Reads P.S. At HD 1080 Settings it shows 24 MBPS writes and 35 MBPS reads.

Thoughts?

Al

Return to posts index

by on Feb 11, 2016 at 10:08:17 pm

Its very similar to the throughput I'm also getting out of my pure TB RAID 1 drive. For HD 1080 that drive is showing 31 and 32 MBPS. (for 4:2:2 10 bit YUV)

Al

Return to posts index

by on Feb 11, 2016 at 10:23:51 pm

Another clue. I turned off all the video tracks. Started with about 12 GBs of RAM used by both program and cache. Ran the audio tracks and it hardly budged, and ran through the whole track without problems. Rendered the audio track for the client and all is fine. So it appears to be video throughput and memory related in some way. I'll install the RAM tomorrow and try and see if the problems go away. Hopefully it won't be from my 2GB Nvidia video card maxing out.

I'm not using 4K footage. Just some simple 1080p footage like I've always used, but I am using Rampart video effects, some rather straightforward montage creations, nothing fancy. But I supposed they could eat up a lot of RAM to implement on the timeline. I've not encountered any issues like this before with Rampart's products running me out of RAM, but ...there's always a first time.

More tomorrow or Saturday. Hope this post helps future troubleshooting.

Al

Return to posts index

by on Feb 17, 2016 at 12:20:33 am

Update to RAM seemed to help for a few days, but the problem has returned. I'm not even close to running out of RAM. I'm suspecting the CUDA driver with OS 10.11.3 and something with Pr. I do not have any problems with any other piece of software, including PS, LR, AE etc.

Al

Return to posts index

by on Feb 29, 2016 at 5:26:57 pm

The upgrade of both RAM and the move to the latest CUDA driver appears to have stabilized the machine. Worth noting.

Al

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]