ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Slowdown on one drive rippling down to all drives in PPRO

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jan JanowskiSlowdown on one drive rippling down to all drives in PPRO
by on Feb 11, 2016 at 4:34:33 pm
Last Edited By Jan Janowski on Feb 11, 2016 at 4:44:11 pm

CS6.05 here, but this issue was strange enough that I feel a post is necessary.... as a warning.

About 1.5+ Years ago, I changed from a spinning drive to SSD for Cache and Video Cache Database drive, and at that time (when New) the speed of this SSD was 200+ R/W. Timeline moves and shuttles were faster.. Life was good.

Late last year (Which as luck would have it, after I moved cross country, and updated Matrox software) I started dropping frames from spinning drive raid 0 on the timeline... I checked Device settings and all was fine.
Speed tests on media drives was consistent with last year's tests..
Matrox was contacted and new software ruled out...

Thinking that Spinning drive Raid 0 was degrading, I got around issue by purchasing 2 SSD's (SanDisk Ultra II were on sale) and placed in a new Raid 0 for video media.

A couple months later the new SSD Raid 0 started dropping frames, too.. All media drives test as good now as when new. ????

Finally I checked the Cache and Video Cache Database drive. I had neglected to do this since it was new. It had Degraded from 200+ R/W to 100+ R/W. Firmware IS current. ???? It's a Samsung 840 drive.
Web search indicated it slows down over time with older data.
Someone suggested I copy all data to another drive, delete all data, and then copy it back.
I tried this and speed of SSD Cache and Video Cache Database drive returned to 200+ R/W, and dropped frames dis-appeared..... on BOTH SSD and Spinning Drive Raid 0's. Yippee!

So I Contacted Samsung, and they tell me the "Plain Vanilla" 840 Drive does not have this issue, and my firmware is current, and thanks for asking.

Oh Yeah???

I'm in the process of purchasing another SSD SanDisk Ultra II to replace the Samsung....

Yes, the copy, delete, and copy back increased the speed of the Samsung 840 as Cache and Video Cache Database drive.... but I don't know the exact specifics of the SSD Slowdown, so it will be replaced with a different MFG's drive (that will be even faster, (As tests with SanDisk Ultra II compared to Samsung 840 have revealed)....

"Weakest Link" senerio, eh?

Return to posts index

Jan JanowskiRe: Slowdown on one drive rippling down to all drives in PPRO
by on Feb 11, 2016 at 9:57:55 pm

SanDisk SSD arrived today... Installed....

Ask me in a year!!! :)!

Return to posts index

Jan JanowskiRe: Slowdown on one drive rippling down to all drives in PPRO
by on Feb 13, 2016 at 1:59:31 pm

Wouldn't let me edit post...
W7-64 here..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]