ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Multicam edit FLATTEN option doesn't work for only one timeline - crashes PP

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hector PalatioMulticam edit FLATTEN option doesn't work for only one timeline - crashes PP
by on Feb 9, 2016 at 5:07:43 am

Hi,

I've just decided to use PP CC because I realized that it was the only way to take advantage of the FLATTEN feature for the multicam edits I've done (in CS6), since I want to export my timeline to AE for further fx. I have made 3 different timelines with different footage for various segment in a video. All footage comes from the same camera and have the same specs btw.

Now importing that CS6 project in CC to do so, 2 of the 3 timelines work fine and do get flattened, but my 3rd simply doesn't when I try to (by selecting all the clips at once). But if I start doing them a few a times it works UNTIL I hit a specific point in time in where simply going over a cut clip where PP instantly crashes. Reboots, this and that, nothing works. It just "hates" that clip for some reason...

Mind you that sequence contains 7 cameras as opposed to the 2 others which have 2 and 3.

And once CC was installed I got the error message that my Mercury playback engine acceleration cannot be detected for some reason (but it works fine in my CS6). Could that have anything to do with it? Although still weird any other clip besides the one I've mentioned work with that feature...

Any idea why?

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: Multicam edit FLATTEN option doesn't work for only one timeline - crashes PP
by on Feb 9, 2016 at 11:20:20 am

If you open the multicam nest sequence and examine the edits around that time...

notice anything unusual compared tot he rest of the seqeunce(s)?

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

Hector PalatioRe: Multicam edit FLATTEN option doesn't work for only one timeline - crashes PP
by on Feb 9, 2016 at 9:33:57 pm

Actually, scratch that... Upon trying additional times to figure out the bug, I realized that simply scrolling through that particular timeline makes it crash, regardless of the clip itself and from which camera angle it's from. Cause I thought at worst, I'll isolate the clip and flatten the rest, since I could live without having handles on one clip, but as I discovered that it crashes elsewhere...

On the GPU CUDA issue: thinking it might be a processing affair, I tried figuring out how to make PP CC enable the acceleration option. And after much research, found a "solution" which said to add my card name to the cuda_supported_cards.txt. BUT that file simply doesn't exists in PP CC folder...

So thought I could update my driver from the Nividia website. Found the right one for my card Quadro 3000m, downloaded it. When I click on it to run the .exe, it warns me, as it should, I accept and then... drum roll... nothing happens. THEN I read this on the driver's page:

For Quadro Notebook:
This is a reference driver that can be installed on supported NVIDIA notebook GPUs. However, please note that your notebook original equipment manufacturer (OEM) provides certified drivers for your specific notebook on their website. NVIDIA recommends that you check with your notebook OEM about recommended software updates for your notebook. OEMs may not provide technical support for issues that arise from the use of this driver.

SO I got on HP's website to find my particular driver, and am currently waiting for the excruciating 4h download to finish... (I have an Elitebook 8760w)

I even tried to update through the Nvidia control panel, but the Help section refers to sections that don't even exist in the Desktop and Help menu bar! (A Show Notification Tray Icon or Updates). I don't even have the possibility to add a tray icon to try it this way as well... Absurd I tell you.

If you got any ideas in the meantime, feel free to let mew know! This is ridiculous, combing the internet for the last 3 days and can't make this work, as not only the problem seems to get deeper, none of the proposed solutions work or are available!

Return to posts index

Hector PalatioRe: Multicam edit FLATTEN option doesn't work for only one timeline - crashes PP
by on Feb 10, 2016 at 7:35:22 pm

Update:

Well, after I've downloaded the latest graphic driver from HP (v341.92)sp73596.exe (as opposed to nvidia's) which took forever(thanks to their extremely slow transfer rate), I installed it and to my surprise, CUDA acceleration (and not software only) was FINALLY available and checked in PP.

This being said, it didn't resolve my specific timeline crash bug at all... So I guess, I'll have to completely re-edit that multi-cam scene and hope it doesn't freak out this time and is able to get flattened.

STILL, if you have any eureka moment in the meantime, feel free to share. :)

Return to posts index

Andrew KimeryRe: Multicam edit FLATTEN option doesn't work for only one timeline - crashes PP
by on Feb 10, 2016 at 9:13:11 pm

[Hector Palatio] "This being said, it didn't resolve my specific timeline crash bug at all... So I guess, I'll have to completely re-edit that multi-cam scene and hope it doesn't freak out this time and is able to get flattened."

Try creating a new PPro project and then using the Media Browser to import your exiting project into the new one. Sometimes that will be enough to get of some corruption that has taken place.

-Andrew

Return to posts index

by on Feb 12, 2016 at 6:10:52 pm

Your idea's a very good option since I've done it in the past for other reasons and it did work. But not this time around though.

So instead, I tried to simply re-edit the whole 7 camera sequence in CC, but even with CUDA now on, PP was lagging like hell, and eventually crashed as well. So weird that I could actually do that type of work in its lower version (CS6).

I did finally find a work around: went back to CS6 and lowered the amount of cameras by splitting them in 2 sequences (one with 3 and the other with 4). Obviously that wasn't the original plan, but since this is a music video, I have more leeway in its visual approach.

Then I reopened the project in CC, and FINALLY managed to use the FLATTEN feature for those 2. Then tried a trial version of AE CC to see if I could copy/paste those sequences, and guess what, impossible to do so. Would just do nothing besides showing me the hourglass for 2 seconds and then disappearing. Yet another bug. I'm terribly surprised how freakin buggy those new versions are. AND I don't like to use the dynamic link thing since it make a comped layer and is impossible to reajust clips within AE if needed. SO, found another idea: Exported the flattened timeline from CC as an EDL, reopened it in PP CS6, and was then able to work everything in AE CS6 since the copy/paste method works between those 2...

Completely ridiculous to have to jump through all these hoops, but that it s the only workaround I could find.

Zero praise to the CC programs. I don't know if that new cloud concept of having regular updates makes them slack off in not trying to release an actual fully-tested program upon release, but surely feels like it... I understand the pros and cons, but from my POV, this is awful. Gonna keep working with CS6 much longer than I thought.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]