ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

I've tried everything - Avi's with DivX, Xvid video and Dolby AC3 audio codecs that play without audio

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cory AndrewsI've tried everything - Avi's with DivX, Xvid video and Dolby AC3 audio codecs that play without audio
by on Feb 8, 2016 at 5:43:07 am

I've tried transcoding with MPEGStreamClip, Squeeze, Adobe Media Encoder, Handbrake, DivX Converter, Compressor. These files will not play in Quicktime despite updating my version of Divx, my AC3 codec, my XVIDDelegate.component file, and Perian. They will not play in the Divx player either. They all play in VLC, but that doesn't help me edit them in Premiere or FCP, both of which play the video, but without sound. I'm considering just recording the audio with software that records my computer's audio out channel and linking it in my editing software, but this seems a little ridiculous. Is there something I'm still missing here?

I've tried converting these files to Apple Pro Res 422 Proxy (MPEG Streamclip and Compressor), MP4 H.264 (Handbrake), MKV H.264 (DivX Converter), NTSC DV (Adobe Media Converter).

Here is the Media Inspector info for one of the files I'm trying to convert:

General
Complete name : /Volumes/Film Work/Beavertown.avi
Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
File size : 896 MiB
Duration : 1h 28mn
Overall bit rate : 1 412 Kbps
Writing application : VirtualDubMod 1.5.4.1 (build 2178/release)
Writing library : VirtualDubMod build 2178/release

Video
ID : 0
Format : MPEG-4 Visual
Format profile : Advanced Simple@L5
Format settings, BVOP : 1
Format settings, QPel : No
Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
Format settings, Matrix : Custom
Codec ID : XVID
Codec ID/Hint : XviD
Bit rate : 1 181 Kbps
Width : 464 pixels
Height : 320 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 3:2
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Compression mode : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.318
Stream size : 750 MiB (84%)
Writing library : XviD 1.2.0.dev47 (UTC 2006-11-01)

Audio
ID : 1
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness : Big
Codec ID : 2000
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 224 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 142 MiB (16%)
Alignment : Split accross interleaves
Interleave, duration : 96 ms (2.40 video frames)
Interleave, preload duration : 96 ms
Language : English

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: I've tried everything - Avi's with DivX, Xvid video and Dolby AC3 audio codecs that play without audio
by on Feb 8, 2016 at 11:44:16 am
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Feb 8, 2016 at 11:48:55 am

your problem isn't the video codec, you need a directshow audio filter for ac-3 which is used in some dvd's DTS decoding.

try this one. I've used it before and it's free.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ac3filter/
http://www.ac3filter.net/wiki/AC3Filter

Return to posts index

Cory AndrewsRe: I've tried everything - Avi's with DivX, Xvid video and Dolby AC3 audio codecs that play without audio
by on Feb 10, 2016 at 3:00:16 am

Hey Chris,

Thanks for writing back. I actually have a Mac, so I can't download that.

However, I did download AC3 decompressor component that came up in Google?
http://qt-ac3-codec.en.softonic.com/mac

I also have Perian installed, which is supposed to have AC3 support?

Any other ideas?

Thank a lot,
Alex

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: I've tried everything - Avi's with DivX, Xvid video and Dolby AC3 audio codecs that play without audio
by on Feb 10, 2016 at 5:11:02 am

[Cory Andrews] "Any other ideas?"

Use formats that are supported by Premiere.

Return to posts index

Cory AndrewsRe: I've tried everything - Avi's with DivX, Xvid video and Dolby AC3 audio codecs that play without audio
by on Feb 10, 2016 at 5:28:37 am

I'm trying to make an essay film and I am using video from a variety of different sources. I have no other access to some of my material than through DivX AVIs. If someone can offer some advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 11, 2016 at 3:44:59 am

Come on, really? Is that final completely unhelpful, snarky response all I get? Am I being blackballed here because I'm using DivX files? I'm trying to quote a text. An author can quote another author to make a point, a filmmaker is legally allowed to quote another filmmaker to make his point, I need to quote a DivX file of film, I was told Final Cut was no bueno, I was told Premier could handle anything, was I wrong?

I put a file named AC3 Codec.component in my library/Quicktime folder, I have Perian, do I need to do something more than that?

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: I've tried everything - Avi's with DivX, Xvid video and Dolby AC3 audio codecs that play without audio
by on Feb 11, 2016 at 1:00:38 pm
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Feb 11, 2016 at 1:10:12 pm

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4160002?start=15

A52Codec.component into ..>Library>QuickTime
or
http://savvyadmin.com/extract-ac3-dolby-digital-with-ffmpeg/

Return to posts index

Chris WalshRe: I've tried everything - Avi's with DivX, Xvid video and Dolby AC3 audio codecs that play without audio
by on Feb 11, 2016 at 7:21:55 pm

Easiest and fastest thing would be to find someone with a Windows PC and convert to Quicktime, MP4, or MPEG2 there using MPEG streamclip. I've come across many different DivX files that I could never get converted on my macs, so ended up converting on a PC and copying across.

Depending on how large the files are you may want to try a few of the online conversion sites if there's no PC available.

Chris Walsh

http://www.musicfog.com
Silver Spring, MD
Premiere Pro CC, FC7 & AVID
Former Windows diehard and edit*or

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]