ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Video and audio timeline doesn't scroll vertically (see picture)

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Duke SwedenVideo and audio timeline doesn't scroll vertically (see picture)
by on Feb 7, 2016 at 2:54:51 am

This has been going on for a while now, but the scrolls on the right side of the timeline for video and audio doesn't scroll. I have to reduce the size of my program monitor to be able to see all of my layers, which is starting to get ponderous. Check out the attached picture.

Is there anyway to get that function back other than reinstalling Premiere Pro?

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Video and audio timeline doesn't scroll vertically (see picture)
by on Feb 7, 2016 at 8:43:01 am

How exactly doesn't it work? Click and hold in the middle of the bar and drag up and down? Try to trash your preferences.

Return to posts index

Duke SwedenRe: Video and audio timeline doesn't scroll vertically (see picture)
by on Feb 7, 2016 at 9:54:59 am

There's nowhere to click. Either the top and bottom tabs, or the space in the middle. Nothing moves. It's like trying to click on the image I attached. It behaves the same way in "real life".

I never set any preferences so I don't think that will help but I'll look around for anything that says "Disable Scroll Bars" and uncheck it ;-)
Thanks for responding though. Cheers.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 7, 2016 at 10:57:28 pm

UPDATE: Well, it seems if I click and drag, not on the top or bottom "button" but in the sliding area, it will raise or lower the layers, but it's so delicate if I click too hard it goes from top to bottom with no scrolling. Just as irritating! What's the deal here!?!

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Video and audio timeline doesn't scroll vertically (see picture)
by on Feb 8, 2016 at 5:09:53 am

If you hover over the video or audio track part of the timeline you should be able to scroll with the mouse scrollwheel too. If you have a second monitor you could use that for playback to get more space for tools.

Return to posts index

Peter GarawayRe: Video and audio timeline doesn't scroll vertically (see picture)
by on Feb 11, 2016 at 6:51:27 pm

Hi Duke,

This video from PeachPit provides a good illustrations of the Timeline controls. Hope this is helpful!

Best,

Peter Garaway
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

by on Feb 11, 2016 at 7:33:18 pm

Thanks, fellas.
Tero, if I place my cursor over the timeline it scrolls left to right, not up and down. I know how to scroll left to right and expand and shrink the timeline. That's not my problem. My problem is scrolling up and down. As I said in my last post I can do it now by clicking and dragging on the area between the scrolling buttons, on the right (see image above), but it's so touchy it's really hard to scroll to the track I want to work on.

Peter, thanks for the video but as you can see, my scroll bar looks nothing like the one in the video. That one has those 3 bars to better "grip" the slider, also, if you expand the track a space shows up between the up and down buttons. In my image above it's just a flat image, no scroll bar, as you can see.

Return to posts index

Peter GarawayRe: Video and audio timeline doesn't scroll vertically (see picture)
by on Feb 11, 2016 at 8:06:50 pm

Try the following. Place your mouse over the track header for the layer you want to resize. Once you mouse is over the track, scroll up and down using your mouse wheel or trackpad to expend or decrease the size. You can hold down the Cmd (Mac) or Ctrl (PC) key as your doing it to make smaller increments. See the attached image for where you want to place your mouse. Let us know how that goes.

Peter Garaway
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

by on Feb 11, 2016 at 9:50:16 pm

Peter, that's not what I'm talking about. I know how to do that. Look at the image I included in my original post. Inside the red square. THOSE scrollbars is what I'm talking about. The up/down "buttons" are useless, I have to click between them and drag up and down but the space is so small it's almost impossible to scroll exactly where I want to go. If, for example, I have 6 video tracks, and 4-6 are showing, and I want to scroll down so 3 and 4 are showing, it scrolls all the way down to tracks 1-3 no matter how slightly I drag the mouse.

I never had this problem before the last 2-3 updates, I'm almost positive.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 11, 2016 at 11:01:22 pm
Last Edited By Peter Garaway on Feb 11, 2016 at 11:06:06 pm

Sorry for the confusion Duke. I now understand what your referring to unfortunately I'm not seeing the issue though. That definitely sounds like you got the software into a bad state. Trashing prefs or reinstall might be the other option that I could think of.

Here's a link to a screen recording that shows how Premiere is working for me using version 9.2. I personally like using my mouse wheel or trackpad to scroll in and resize the Timeline.

Do you find the scroll bars provide you controls you need that the mouse wheel or trackpad do not?

Peter Garaway
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

by on Feb 11, 2016 at 11:10:36 pm

As you can see the mouse wheel is only enlarging the track. The cursor then goes over to the scroll bar to go up or down. THAT...is the problem I'm having, not enlarging the height of individual tracks.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 11, 2016 at 11:35:41 pm

To be clear you can preform both functions the scroll bar offers with the mouse wheel.

In the video at 17 seconds I Expend/Minimize the track height by using the mouse wheel over the track header and then at 19 seconds (this is what you want) I scroll Up/Down through all the tracks by placing the cursor over the Timeline and using the mouse wheel.

Peter Garaway
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]