ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

DVX DV tape exporting to youtube on Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2016

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
greg gleasonDVX DV tape exporting to youtube on Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2016
by on Feb 5, 2016 at 12:42:48 am

I recently bought a DSLR and am switching from Final Cut Pro to Adobe Premiere. I decided to convert my old tapes from my DVX and export them on Adobe to be viewed on youtube. No matter what choice in exporting I can't get the footage to not be soft and muted. I know I can't get it HD I just want it to look as good as if I play the tape through the TV. I can get the footage to look decent with interlaced video but I can't remove the interlace without the quality dropping conceitedly. These are edited tapes I did on Final Cut Pro, I am just uploading the finished tapes and wanting to export them in a higher resolution then I was able to achieve.

Footage was filmed on DVX100B with advanced 24PA in the DVX widescreen format

Edited on Final Cut Pro 5.1.4

Sequence settings:
Sequence Preset DV NTSC 48 KHz - 23.98
Capture Preset: DV NTSC 48 KHz Advanced (2:3:3:2) Pulldown Removal

When Final Cut Prints it to tape it becomes NTSC 29.97

On Adobe if I export match source I get interlaced footage. I've tried in field options choosing "Always deinterlace" and "Flicker Removal" both greatly cut down on the finished videos quality. They appear to be the same quality as exporting with the "progressive" setting. Here's what I have found to give the best with adobe when exporting

Export Media:
Format: H.264
Preset: Match Source - High bitrate

Video:
Filed Order: Progressive
Profile: High
Render at Maximum Depth
Bitrate Encoding VBR, 2 pass
Use Maximum Render Quality
Time Interpolation: Frame Bending

I don't have VBR 2 Pass set higher then the program defaults. Because a 188 MB file turns into a 3450 MB file.

I'm just looking to put these on youtube and have them not look like an awful 80s video tape. Does anyone know of a good setting using the most recent Adobe Premiere to export tapes for youtube? With the DVX I have never found a good answer.

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: DVX DV tape exporting to youtube on Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2016
by on Feb 5, 2016 at 4:40:37 am

If its really 24pa, there shouldn't be any deinterlacing. AE should interpret 3:2 reverse pull down and give you perfect 24 fps.

And frame blending should be off and progressive 24fps to YouTube.

Flicker removal does not deinterlace anyway. It blurs the video horribly to reduce line flickering. There should be none at all.

Return to posts index

greg gleasonRe: DVX DV tape exporting to youtube on Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2016
by on Feb 5, 2016 at 7:27:56 pm

Sorry for the confusion

The footage was originally filmed in 24PA, but once I was finished editing and printed back to tape. The tape deck defaulted it to traditional NTSC 29.97 footage.

Now on adobe I'm trying to import that footage as NTSC 29.97, and now it has the interlacing.

So what should my settings be for exporting DV NTSC 29.97 tape to youtube with high quality and interlacing removed?

Return to posts index

by on Feb 6, 2016 at 10:23:19 pm
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Feb 7, 2016 at 11:51:14 am

yes, i understand what you're saying, but remember its extremely important to remove the telecine 3:2 pulldown before you edit or you'll have spliced-jumped/destroyed 3:2 cadence patterns that can't easily be removed without intelligent software like avisynth.

1. You need to remove the pulldown from the imported tape deck by reverse 3:2 pulldown PA in AE(right click interpret footage remove pulldown) or another app like compressor(reverse telcine) or Premiere ( Frame Rate, select Remove 24p DV Pulldown)
in other apps, PA's actual technical cadence is 2:3:3:2 compared to 2:3:2:3
https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/importing-interpreting-video-au...

then you can drag it into in a 23.976 timeline. Your export youtube setting were pretty close. Just don't use flicker removal or deinterlace. it should be VBR
progressive 23.976

-youtube upload spec requirements

https://support.google.com/moviestvpartners/answer/1679498?hl=en

Return to posts index

by on Feb 9, 2016 at 10:06:48 pm

That sounds like the solution. Sadly I only have adobe premiere and it's not letting me select 24P DV pulldown. Is there another option I have to select before being able to choose that one?

I captured a DV tape from an older camera that was filmed in an interlace format and can tell a large difference in the exported quality. The DVX footage interlace is large and thick as opposed to the old DV tape. Both I can't see the interlacing in the timeline until I export it.

I do notice changing the export setting to progressive removes the interlace on the DVX but also the quality. So I do think you're right on the 24P Pulldown removal. I just can't seem to select it.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 9, 2016 at 11:26:43 pm

I exported my footage using project manager to another computer running adobe cs6. I was able to get the footage into adobe after effects and can access the pulldown removal tool. There are just like tons of choices so I guess I'll have to try them all.

After that do I just export it as an premiere project. Bring it back into premiere so I can export it to the web?

Return to posts index

by on Feb 9, 2016 at 11:48:25 pm

When saving the project in after effects to premiere after doing a pulldown removal do I need to render it in after effects first or anything? It saves to a premiere project in an instant which makes me think I'm missing a step.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 11, 2016 at 10:43:09 pm
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Feb 12, 2016 at 5:07:55 am

premiere can render them via dynamic link so its up to you.
note: dynamic link doesn't support multiprocessing if you use cc 2014.
cc 2015 doesn't have multiprocessing anyways, so doesn't matter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]