ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Editing overseas with a different Macbook Pro?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Henry TenenbaumEditing overseas with a different Macbook Pro?
by on Feb 3, 2016 at 7:47:47 pm

I'll be shooting and editing in East Africa (in the past I've done my editing with African production houses - or back home. No time for that this time). It's a fairly complicated piece, which I'll be cutting on my Macbook Pro. Based on past experience, editing can be VERY slow, and playback is often painful.

I'm editing on Premiere Pro CC. Raw video will be in a variety of 1080p formats. I'm using an external HD for my source material.

Is it worth the money to get a new Macbook with a proper graphics card??

Will an upgraded Macbook help??? Playback and editing can be very difficult with my current setup. I would trade my computer in for a more powerful Macbook, but I'm not sure which parameters really make a difference. Is there any Macbook that can handle large video (even 4k)?

I know that Macbooks work better with Final Cut and that a PC would be cheaper, but I'd rather not start switching at this point.

Here's what I have:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 8 GB <---------------My problem??
Graphics:
Chipset Model: Intel Iris <----------------My other problem?
Type: GPU

I'll be shooting 1080p in both mov and mp4, and would like to create a broadcast-quality finished product.

What I want: smoother playback (at lower resolution). Robust operation without too many crashes.

Many, many thanks,
Henry

Henry Tenenbaum, ver. 4.0
+1 415.516.4017
henry@henrymail.com
http://www.henrytenenbaum.com
LinkedIn.com/in/henryten

2030 Fairmont Drive
San Mateo, CA 94402
USA

Return to posts index

Chris EvansRe: Editing overseas with a different Macbook Pro?
by on Feb 4, 2016 at 3:39:42 pm

That amount of RAM is pretty small for editing, but I don't think it should be too much of a problem (I am used to more than 16GB, so I don't have a lot of experience with limited RAM). If you're having problems with that macbook pro, then a new will very likely help. If your external drive is plugged in using USB 2.0, that could be your problem, in which case I'd try a new drive with USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt if you can before you do anything else. Alternatively, you could transcode all your footage to something easier and smaller, maybe even SD to edit with proxies. Transcoding as an option will depend on the amount of footage you have and the amount of time you'll have were you can be doing something else where your computer will be free to transcode, you might do a few tests to see how long that will take and how editing that footage goes.

Return to posts index

Henry TenenbaumRe: Editing overseas with a different Macbook Pro?
by on Feb 5, 2016 at 3:42:40 pm

Thanks for your message ... Very helpful.

Return to posts index

Jim CunninghamRe: Editing overseas with a different Macbook Pro?
by on Feb 6, 2016 at 1:55:53 pm

I do a lot of on the road editing, so a MBP w/ max everything is very important. Also, while on the road, I use the LaCie 4TB (thunderbolt) rugged RAID drive. The above keeps thing moving pretty good.

(BTW)I'm awaiting the introduction of the Skylake processor to the MBP as my next laptop, which should also help move things along quickly.

Good luck,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]