ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

youtube upload destroying gamma, saturation, contrast, color balance

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nicholas mammanoyoutube upload destroying gamma, saturation, contrast, color balance
by on Feb 3, 2016 at 7:26:37 pm

Has anyone figured out a fix for this, ive been having this issue for a couple years. The internet has sent me on a bunch of dead ends, about color space, rec 601 vs rec 709 (but no answer on how to adjust this), screens being calibrated wrong, manually stretching the hell out of your color grading to compensate (but this takes hours of guesswork and wasted time

The answer of youtube having crappy encoding, go to vimeo isnt the answer im looking for

is there proper easy way to correct this? im exporting from Premiere CC 2015 to h.264 vbr 2 pass, high bitrate just like youtube reccomends

look at the difference of my color graded premiere workspace on left, versus my youtube upload on the right mind you these screens are very closely calibrated, other identical viewed images look almost exactly the same screen to screen

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1570/24678709042_203d4a5a4a_b.jpg

look how muted, cold, and flat, desaturated youtube is leaving my upload

this is well beyond "oh thats just youtubes compression" this is terrible

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: youtube upload destroying gamma, saturation, contrast, color balance
by on Feb 3, 2016 at 7:52:30 pm

Media Encoder has YouTube presets. Did you use those?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

nicholas mammanoRe: youtube upload destroying gamma, saturation, contrast, color balance
by on Feb 3, 2016 at 9:39:59 pm

premiere cc 2015 has a youtube preset as well, that is what im using

not sure if media encoder has more youtube presets to choose from, but i do not have encoder

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: youtube upload destroying gamma, saturation, contrast, color balance
by on Feb 3, 2016 at 10:27:38 pm

Media Encoder is part of the Creative Cloud package. When you Export to compress, it opens up Media Encoder.

So you used a YouTube preset and it still looks like that? Does it look like that on other computers too? other web browsers?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

nicholas mammanoRe: youtube upload destroying gamma, saturation, contrast, color balance
by on Feb 3, 2016 at 11:00:02 pm

The only acceptable playback results are on iphone devices.

iPad looks terrible, 3 different pc's including my workstation look bad

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: youtube upload destroying gamma, saturation, contrast, color balance
by on Feb 4, 2016 at 4:19:00 am

wow, i've never seen it that bad before! I mean, sometimes orange skin or something, but that's flat out off. Are you using streamclip? (it has a bug)

You should definately try a different codec to upload, see if the codec is not supported for its color transforms. It looks like its trying to convert RGB as YUV.

Once you get the crazyness toned down, try using AE's utility profile converter set as rec 709. This will burn in the correct color management because youtube doesn't support it.

Return to posts index

Duke SwedenRe: youtube upload destroying gamma, saturation, contrast, color balance
by on Feb 4, 2016 at 1:48:47 pm

Yeah, that is way nastier than any youtube screwup I've ever encountered. I can't offer any advice beyond what the pros here have suggested. But I just wanted to point out that the problem I had with skin tone and youtube, I also encountered with Vimeo. Also one of the guys said when you "export" it automatically opens Encoder. I'm sure he meant to say "Queue" opens Media Encoder. "Export" causes Premiere Pro to do the dirty work, and you can't use it for anything else until the export ends. I'm positive he knows that, he just had a brain fart.

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: youtube upload destroying gamma, saturation, contrast, color balance
by on Feb 4, 2016 at 4:45:38 am

A photograph of a monitor is the worst kind of way to try to show differences because of metameric failure etc. If you bring the exported file back to Premiere and compare it to the timeline how does it look?

Return to posts index

by on Feb 17, 2016 at 9:40:09 pm

just incase anyone has this issue in the future

youtube definitely shifts gamma...

the fix i used for this to get the results close for this after a lot of experimenting is to up the saturation in premiere clip by clip about +10%

then from the youtube "enhancements" tab which re-renders through youtube servers... to up the "fill light" +1, and then up the "contrast" +1

there was nothing i could do in premiere only to duplicate these results, i made about 15 drafts. this technique ive mentioned gave the best results

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]