ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Confused about premiere pro to after effects round trip workflow

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert BudnikasConfused about premiere pro to after effects round trip workflow
by on Feb 3, 2016 at 2:47:54 am

Hello everyone,

I know this may have been answered at one time or another. There are certainly a lot of results when googling it. This also may be a very dumbed obvious question but new to premiere pro. I have done small manageable edits in after effects, nothing more than 3 minute showcases. Now I'm getting into some bigger projects.

I'm confused how to process multiple clips in premiere pro when my noise reduction plugin neat video is in after effects. I'm also confused when to add transitions, do I do it in premiere pro or in after effects. Lastly confused when to color grade. Many say at the end,other say in the beginning.

The issue I am having is that if I have a video tour that has 100 clips I want to obviously put transitions in between each clip. If I put those transitions in before going to after effects I lose them when I click dynamic link and create an after effects comp. The other thing is if I select 5 clips and go into ae they are all split out in the ae time line but when I go back to PP they are all merged into one and I can't add transitions or am I missing something and the is a way to split them out. Or... should I only select one clip at a time bring it into ae. I was hoping to use davinci resolve for color grading, but thinking I'm biting off to much and should stick to lumetri for color.

I'm trying to find the right workflow and 99% of the videos out there are only dealing with one clip to show the example.

Hoping someone can shed some light on this. Greatly appreciated.

Robert

Return to posts index

Jon DoughtieRe: Confused about premiere pro to after effects round trip workflow
by on Feb 3, 2016 at 4:54:39 pm

Please hear this is the gentle voice intended. This is not meant to be snarky at all.

Premiere Pro is an editing app and After Effects is a compositing app. Editing in After Effects and compositing in Premiere Pro is a very effective way to cripple your workflow.

If you are heading over to AE just for Neat Video noise reduction, be aware they make the same plug-in for Premiere Pro. No need to make a trip to After Effects for that.

I would do all clip-to-clip transitions in Premiere Pro. I would color grade towards the tail of the project. Others may prefer a different approach, like color grading prior to transitions.

You appear to be taking on a lot for your perceived experience level, so don't be too hard on yourself.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2014 (as of 7/2015)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Robert BudnikasRe: Confused about premiere pro to after effects round trip workflow
by on Feb 3, 2016 at 5:38:20 pm

Hey John,

Not at all. I appreciate the feedback and this is the only way to reduce the learning curve. I should have clarified. I wouldn't just use Neat Video in AE and would add other elements while I'm there. I have bought the Neat Video Plugin for Premiere Pro, but it is performs very slowly compared to Neat Video on it's own in After effects. Not sure why.

I did realize that I should Render and Replace the footage after being in AE, but having problems there too. I would assume that is the plug in creating the slowdown. I figure I will have to go through the clips and render them first with the neat video added, then bring everything into premiere and then color grade.

Thanks Again,

Robert

P.S. My Config:

Asus X99-A/USB 3.1
Intel i7-5820k (Overclocked to 4.3)
32GB RAM 2400
Gigabyte GTX-970 4GB DDR5 - Overclocked
2 Samsung EVO 850 (256GB) in Raid 0 - OS/Programs
1 Samsung EVO 850 (256GB) - Scratch Drive
3 1TB Barracuda 7200RPM Drives in Raid 0 - Media
1 USB 3.0 2TB Backup
Win 10

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Confused about premiere pro to after effects round trip workflow
by on Feb 3, 2016 at 6:16:57 pm

[Robert Budnikas] "I did realize that I should Render and Replace the footage after being in AE, but having problems there too. I would assume that is the plug in creating the slowdown."

Noise reduction is extremely computationally expensive (read: uses lots of CPU power and is thus very slow).

By rendering and replacing, you can take that big render hit once upfront for the clip, and then Premiere will reference the saved render, instead trying to process it on-the-fly via Dynamic Link every time.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]