ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Adobe Premiere instability

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel EstradaAdobe Premiere instability
by on Feb 2, 2016 at 7:14:13 pm

Hello
I run Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5 on a Win 10 platform. I use an Alienware laptop with 16GB RAM and 750GB HD.

My issue is that after a dozen or so renderings of the same project, there comes a time when the environment becomes unstable and certain functions like linking media will timeout the app and I have to kill through task manager.

The one thing that works is to uninstall premiere then reinstall it. No fun at all but it gives me life to continue my editing for a few days more.

1. Am I alone in this?
2. Is there a fix?
3. If not, is there a way I can delete some registry entries that would allow the illusion of having reinstalled it? I'm pretty sure the app itself isn't being modified but rather the registry.

As I write this, I'm thinking that if I know which registries are affected, I could do one more uninstall/install cycle and make a backup copy of these, and then next time I can simply restore them.

Thanks
Daniel

Return to posts index

Jon DoughtieRe: Adobe Premiere instability
by on Feb 2, 2016 at 9:48:40 pm

Is your media stored on the same drive with your apps and OS. Are cache files also on that drive?

That is a recipe tailor-made to make Premiere Pro unhappy.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2014 (as of 7/2015)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Daniel EstradaRe: Adobe Premiere instability
by on Feb 2, 2016 at 10:53:41 pm

Good point, Jon. I have all my project files on an external 1TB Lacie HD connected to a USB2 port. Premiere and OS are on my internal HD. Not sure where my cache files are, can you tell me where to look?

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: Adobe Premiere instability
by on Feb 2, 2016 at 10:54:54 pm

[Daniel Estrada] "1TB Lacie HD connected to a USB2 port."

USB2 is not fast enough for editing video. A USB3 drive works quite well. USB 2, nope.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Craft and Career Advice & Training from real Working Creative Professionals

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

by on Feb 2, 2016 at 10:59:00 pm

Perhaps but its irrelevant to my problem statement.

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: Adobe Premiere instability
by on Feb 2, 2016 at 11:04:09 pm

[Daniel Estrada] "Perhaps but its irrelevant to my problem statement."

You mean like the application no longer linking to the media because your connection is too slow? You need a faster media connection to work with and play back video.

USB 3 drive to USB 3 port will work fine.

USB 2 port will not work well at all for editing video. The data transfer rate is too slow. Thus you will have an unstable system.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Craft and Career Advice & Training from real Working Creative Professionals

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

by on Feb 2, 2016 at 11:23:49 pm

The USB port speed is constant so if my system is fine upon a fresh installation then USB speed is irrelevant to the problem. If it were a problem then it would manifest itself from the get-go.

Return to posts index

Gary MilliganRe: Adobe Premiere instability
by on Feb 3, 2016 at 1:07:32 am
Last Edited By Gary Milligan on Feb 3, 2016 at 1:21:27 am

I agree with Walter... USB 2 is too slow a connection. Another bottleneck might be the drive speed which should be no less than 7200 rpm. What is the speed of the Lacie drive you are using? How full is the drive? What video format are you working with (SD, HD, 4K)? How many video tracks/layers are you dealing with? What kinds of effects (if any) are you applying?

If you've always worked with this set-up and never had a problem until now then I would have to say you've been lucky.

Her's a link to some useful info: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/784220

HTH
Gary

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: Adobe Premiere instability
by on Feb 3, 2016 at 3:22:06 am

How about a really old version of Premiere on a brand spanking new OS? It is supported? I know Mac OS has issue running older software that's not really rated for the new OS version

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]