ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Audio bit rate

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oscar GottiAudio bit rate
by on Jan 31, 2016 at 10:07:12 am

I am being asked to do an export with only a bit rate of 128kbps for audio. In this case, is it better for the quality of my audio if I export the audio mono?

Surely if I export stereo each channel will only be 64kbps each... rather than having one mono channel with 128kbps?

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Audio bit rate
by on Jan 31, 2016 at 12:30:25 pm

[Oscar Gotti] "Surely if I export stereo each channel will only be 64kbps each.."

No. The audio bitrate is used for the entire audio track. It's not split for the channels. There's no reason to export stereo as mono unless there's some weird/special specification for it eg. some reaaally old playback device.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_compression#Audio

Return to posts index

Oscar GottiRe: Audio bit rate
by on Jan 31, 2016 at 3:12:48 pm

Interesting, I was told on a forum on Facebook that 128kbps exported mono will sound much better quality than 128kbps exported stereo. Is there any truth to that?

Return to posts index

Jon DoughtieRe: Audio bit rate
by on Feb 2, 2016 at 10:00:08 pm

I do not think most folks would hear any difference. It also depends on the source material.

128k is usually the lowest "acceptable" bit rate, so some folks may find their ears are more sensitive to the limitations of that particular setting.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2014 (as of 7/2015)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Audio bit rate
by on Feb 3, 2016 at 6:33:37 am

if you use AAC, even 64kbps should sound good. it's the replacement for mp3.

if you use a special mono only file, the file size will be the same!, but you can squeeze in more quality for the same file size. and if you recorded with a mono microphone, there's no point in stereo anyway unless you are panning or split the music and vocals.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]