ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Hardware Question to Improve Slow Performance of Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects CC

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam PetschulatHardware Question to Improve Slow Performance of Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects CC
by on Jan 29, 2016 at 10:34:31 pm
Last Edited By Sam Petschulat on Jan 30, 2016 at 1:36:44 am

I'm working on a video project and am getting playback lag, dropped frames, slow preview renders, and slow exports. I'm tying to figure out what I need to upgrade, but don't know too much about building a video editing machine and feel in way over my head. Could anyone help me with some advice on what aspects of my machine are primarily to blame for my slow performance?

Here are my specs:

Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU L5410 @ 2.33 GHz 2.33GHz (2 Processors)
Memory: 32 GB RAM
Hard Drive: 1.99 TB Hard Drive (with 1.71 TB available) SATA 6.0Gb/s @ 3Gb/s, 5900 RPM
Graphics Card: AMD XFX Radeon HD 6450 w/ 2Gb video memory

Now, from what I've read it seems like the two things I most need are to update my graphics card and add more drives. Would folks on here agree with that? Are those things necessary, and if I do them will my performance be pretty good? Or will i still be bogged down by another component that I'm missing? Appreciate any feedback and I can try to provide more specs if I missed anything important. Thanks!

- sam p

Return to posts index

Sam PetschulatRe: Hardware Question to Improve Slow Performance of Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects CC
by on Feb 1, 2016 at 4:11:24 pm

anybody able to give me any feedback on this?

- sam p

Return to posts index

Kannan RaghavanRe: Hardware Question to Improve Slow Performance of Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects CC
by on Feb 3, 2016 at 12:16:52 am

Hi Sam,
Am not a Windows guy. But here's my 2c worth.
You need a RAID. Preferably 4 HDs striped in RAID 5. This would give you speed and redundancy.
Memory is good enough.
You can definitely see better results with a better GPU. Like a NVIDIA GTX 980 or 780.
Am not sure about your processors. But i7s are really good for video editing.

Kannan Raghavan
The Big Toad Films Pte. Ltd.

Return to posts index

Sam PetschulatRe: Hardware Question to Improve Slow Performance of Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects CC
by on Feb 3, 2016 at 5:51:31 pm

hey kannan, thanks for the input. i'm wondering, my motherboard only has slots for 3 hard drives. are you recommending 4 hard drives in addition to my main hard drive with my OS and programs on it? or just 4 total? either way, if I have to go external with my hard drives, won't that slow me down since files will be transferring via USB?

- sam p

Return to posts index

by on Feb 4, 2016 at 5:35:17 pm

so, i've upgraded to a Nvidia Quadro FX 4800 with 1.5GB GDDR3 GPU memory but my playback and rendering is still pretty slow. could this be a problem with my CPU? any help would be much appreciated! :X

- sam p

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Hardware Question to Improve Slow Performance of Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects CC
by on Feb 5, 2016 at 5:13:53 am

[Sam Petschulat] "Nvidia Quadro FX 4800"

Although it's a Quadro card it's also a really old and slow by modern standards Quadro card

Return to posts index

Jon DoughtieRe: Hardware Question to Improve Slow Performance of Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects CC
by on Feb 8, 2016 at 4:58:56 pm

A great deal also depends on WHAT you are rendering.

Some effects, video noise reduction for an example, are very processor-intensive and just plain slow. That's just how they are.

If you only have a single drive on the system, that is certainly a performance bottleneck. All drives should be at least 7200 RPM as well. I personally prefer a solid state drive (SSD) for the OS and applications. Nothing else on that SSD but those items.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2014 (as of 7/2015)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Sergio SanchezRe: Hardware Question to Improve Slow Performance of Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects CC
by on Feb 8, 2016 at 10:03:53 pm

Remember that the speed of your system is as fast as the slowest component.
In your case that is the video card and the hdd.

Build a RAID at least four drives, and preferable using a raid card, something that can get more than 250mb/s

The Quadro Card youre using is too slow for today standards, an Nvidia GTX 960 will give you much better performance than that card.

Other reasons to consider is the Xeon you're using is 2008, it lacks a lot of instructions that the newer Core i7 have, maybe a 3RD or 4th gen intel processor will give you much better performance than 2 Xeons.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 9, 2016 at 3:24:59 pm

thanks so much for the input! unfortunately my PC only has slots for 3 internal hard drives. what's the best way to add more? I know i could use external drives but it seems like the USB connection would be a major bottleneck.

- sam p

Return to posts index

Sergio SanchezRe: Hardware Question to Improve Slow Performance of Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects CC
by on Feb 9, 2016 at 4:46:35 pm

You could try an external enclosure, with a raid card.

This is a great drive for editing
http://www.g-technology.com/products/g-speed-es-pro

For less money you could build your own.

Enclosure
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816115185

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816115186

drives
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2W01HP4645

Return to posts index

by on Feb 9, 2016 at 3:27:42 pm

also, since writing the post I've added 2 additional 1 TB 7200 RPM internal sata drives. that seems to definitely have helped performance, although i'd like to add more. would it be worth it to configure these in RAID since I have only 3 hard drives (maybe keep the boot drive as is and configure my 2 storage drives in RAID)? i read online that you really should only start thinking about RAID when you get into 5+ drives, is this the prevailing opinion?

- sam p

Return to posts index

Kannan RaghavanRe: Hardware Question to Improve Slow Performance of Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects CC
by on Feb 10, 2016 at 12:53:49 am

Hi Sam,
Sorry was away for a while:D
You need 4 drives for RAID 5. An external RAID enclosure is better. Enterprise class 7200RPM drives are what I'd recommend. Like the HGST Ultrastars.
A SSD boot drive would help in terms of faster boot times and faster app launch times.
With 2 drives, you'd be striping RAID 0. It is heaps faster than 2 independent drives for sure. But super risky as if one drive fails, you'll lose everything on the RAID. That's why RAID 5 is recommended for video editing. Minimum 4 drives striped together. If one drive fails, you don't lose any data. Just replace the drive and it'd automatically rebuild. Loo0k for RAID enclosures with onboard hardware controllers, although I've heard good things about SOFTRAID.

Kannan Raghavan
The Big Toad Films Pte. Ltd.

Return to posts index

Jorge BejarRe: Hardware Question to Improve Slow Performance of Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects CC
by on Aug 21, 2016 at 9:50:17 pm

Hi, this is my first time responding to a question I hope I can be of same help.
It seems that your sistem can handle the work load, but unfortunately if you are using regular 7200 rpm drives your HD video will play chopy or skip a lot, I recommend using ssd they are super fast, they will make your system way mor faster, what I use is 4 256 GB ssds, 1 for the system to run everything 1 to capture or download video from my cameras 1 to render the projects and 1 for the cache from premiere and are..plus I have an additional raid card with 4 ports to run 4 two tb HDd for storage on a jbod on a dell t3500 Workstation w/ Xeon @ 3.2 G nvidia quadro fx 4800 and 16gigs of ram

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]