ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

What can I do?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matteo BadinWhat can I do?
by on Jan 27, 2016 at 4:24:38 pm

Hello everyone!
I have a problem with Adobe Premiere Pro CS5. I have imported a short Quick Time Player screen recording to my project. This short video has a high definition, higher than my project's. When I add it to the timeline, in the right viewer I can see only a little part of this clip (I mean a part of the area, not a part of the clip's duration). It seems it is zoomed. As I resize the clip, I see it in much lower resolution. It seems it's high resolution when it's "zoomed" and very low resolution when it's "little". Both Playback resolution and Paused resolution are "Full", but as I resize the clip, I see it pixelated. I tried to import a high resolution photo and it's the same! Please help me, it's important! I really don't know why it happens and what to do!
Thanks in advance!

P.S. I'm italian and it's a bit difficult for me to explain this problem: I attached 2 screenshots, so you can understand!

Return to posts index

Jeff PuleraRe: What can I do?
by on Jan 27, 2016 at 6:57:55 pm

Turn off Scaling, right-click the clip in sequence (or Mac equivalent) and from drop down menu, select Scale to Frame.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Matteo BadinRe: What can I do?
by on Jan 28, 2016 at 4:05:59 pm

Thank you Jeff,
I selected Scale to frame but it's the same. I still see it pixelated.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 28, 2016 at 4:24:21 pm

What version of Premiere are you running? I'm on CC 2014 and at lower right of Program Monitor, I have the option to set the preview resolution. If set to something less than "FULL" then it will of course degrade the quality. Not sure where that setting will be for you, maybe click the tool icon.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

by on Jan 29, 2016 at 2:23:47 pm

Yeah, both Playback resolution and Paused resolution are full. Anyway, I use Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 version

Return to posts index

by on Jan 29, 2016 at 2:53:01 pm

I apologize, I should have asked earlier - what Sequence Settings are you using? The 2560x1440 clip is 16:9 widescreen, but looking at your program monitor it looks like 4:3. Perhaps the Sequence is not HD, but is SD and that is why the quality is suffering?

Click on top menu - Sequence > Sequence Settings - what does it say? A screen shot is helpful

What resolution are the other clips you are working with? You will need to figure out the best Sequence Settings for your project before proceeding with the editing. What size clips are you working with, and what size do you want to deliver? Such as 1080p, 720p, SD/DVD? I see you have a mix of 25fps and 60fps clips, another factor to consider.

Thank you

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

by on Jan 30, 2016 at 6:48:59 pm

Okay, here I am.
I attached two screenshots. It's written in Italian, but I think you can understand. Anyway, I want to capture some videos from my video camera (I haven't done it yet) and add imported clips. When I created the project, I selected PAL 4:3 (not PAL Widescreen) because this is my videos' format. I think the project size is 720p, as you can see. Then I imported the clips you see before capturing the videos from my camera. The imported clips are 16:9 widescreen and quite high resolution. I want to deliver a high resolution video, but the resolution of the videos of my camera isn't as high as that of the clips I imported.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 1, 2016 at 2:47:17 pm

You'll need to decide if you want to deliver 4:3 SD video, or 16:9 HD video. If you wish to deliver HD, I would go with 720p25 since you will be upscaling the SD clips. The quality of SD will be softer when upscaling to HD, but 720p will be better than 1080p since you are not scaling up as much.

You will have to apply "Scale to Frame" on the SD clips in an HD sequence, or use Motion effect to scale them up to fill the frame.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

by on Feb 3, 2016 at 4:15:19 pm

I think it's better to deliver a 4:3 project, because my camera aspect ratio is 4:3 and I don't want to lose the quality of the videos I capture from my camera. But I also wouldn't like to lose the quality of the 16:9 clips I import, and when I scale them to frame, they lose their quality, even though their definition is higher than my project's.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 3, 2016 at 4:25:15 pm

While dropping the 16:9 HD clips down to SD will of course give them "SD quality" those clips should look just as good as the 4:3 SD source material - they certainly should not look any worse.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

by on Feb 3, 2016 at 4:42:02 pm

Another thought - I don't know what percentage of your footage is SD and how much is HD. Perhaps you could edit as 16:9 SD? Considering that 4:3 displays have gone the way of the horse and buggy, going 16:9 for delivery might be a good choice!

There are tricks to make the 4:3 footage work in the 16:9 frame. One of course is to scale the 4:3 clip up until it fills the frame, eliminating the black side bars. The quality loss is not that bad. Of course, you may also need to slide the image down to avoid cutting off heads. Depending on content, this may not work for you as important parts of the image might be cropped.

Another option that I see all the time on the news and on documentaries and such, is to fill in the black bars area. Basically, put the 4:3 clip on V1 track, and Scale only the WIDTH, stretching it sideways to fill the 16:9 frame. Now add Gaussian Blur effect, adjust to taste. Now put the original 4:3 clip right above on V2. The sides that were black are now matching in color and content (clip below)! People are used to seeing this and as their eyes are focused on the center video, they really don't notice the side bars the way they would if they were black. Works nice!

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

by on Feb 4, 2016 at 5:49:05 pm

Thank you very much Jeff for your advice! I'll try the Gaussian blur effect.
Bye

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]