ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Workflow recommendations for GoPro Cineform footage

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jessica KehrhahnWorkflow recommendations for GoPro Cineform footage
by on Jan 26, 2016 at 5:53:43 pm

Hello all,
I am editing a short film that will be shot with the GoPro Novo 2k Camera. I will get Cineform Raw files. I usually edit on FCP7 or Avid, but wanted to try Premiere Pro (I have CS6) and this project seemed the right fit. There will be a fair amount of FX shots and the final film is supposed to be shown on the web and film festivals. If anyone could recommend a workflow or has some advice I would very much appreciate it. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: Workflow recommendations for GoPro Cineform footage
by on Jan 27, 2016 at 2:29:19 pm

Hi Jessica....

Is the question about the ftg itself or more about the pipeline for the work?

Knowing more of what you are looking for might get you some answers.

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

Jessica KehrhahnRe: Workflow recommendations for GoPro Cineform footage
by on Jan 27, 2016 at 4:01:34 pm

Hi Alex,

I am unfamiliar with the codec and was wondering if I should transcode into ProRes or just edit as is?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

by on Jan 27, 2016 at 5:22:03 pm

Hi Jessica...

I can't say I've had enough day to day with the codec to give you definitive feedback.

I know Adobe strongly supports it because they wanted something that was cross platform, and wanted optional alpha channel and hi-res, support.

So it does fit that bill.

PPro and AE should read it natively, so transcoding shouldn't be necessary to work.

that being said

take a look at this:

http://www.hackermovies.com/intermedia-codec-test-prores-vs-cineform

Not quite sure what to make of it...but since VFX is part of your consideration (which likely involves grading)....this might provide some helpful insight.

hth,

Alex Udell

Return to posts index

by on Jan 27, 2016 at 10:44:40 pm

Hi Alex,

Thank you, that was helpful! I should be able to edit with the Cineform files which apparently are even smaller than ProRes files. I will talk to the VFX person and see what they think. I was hoping to get some insight how PP handles these files and if there is anything I should look out for. I am a total PP newbie and never edited on that system, so any advice is helpful...

Thanks again.

Jessica

Return to posts index

by on Jan 28, 2016 at 3:28:51 pm

Hi Jessica,

Good!

With regards to overall workflow...

There are a number of ways to pass work to AE from Ppro....

1) AE can simply import a PPro Project and understand your Sequences as AE Comps. This would require that the VFX artist would have complete access to all media.

2) You can copy and paste clip(s) between the apps. So you can create corresponding comps in AE that relate to the VFX shots in your edit. This would be a manual approach. And probably require some "file collects" to be done in AE if your intent is hand off the media.

3) You could duplicate your edit and use the "replace clip(s) with AE comp" function in the timelime to create AE project/comps. This would simplify the creation of the shot setup. All your VFX comps would be in one AE project (or however you choose to organize it)...and you could file collect that to hand off to your VFX person.

In this approach, you'd sort of be using half of "dynamic link." Use the part that creates the AE comp...but the VFX person would essentially be handing you back a render you'd need to cut into the timeline. As you cut FX back in, you might take the additonal step of nesting the AE COMP (placeholder) and it's render. in this way if you getr versions you can replace them (or stak them) in the nest and still only have one clip object in your master edit.

Sorry for all the additional....but since you are an experienced editor, but new to PPro....thought it nice to know some workflow options...

cheers...

Alex Udell

Return to posts index

by on Jan 28, 2016 at 11:22:52 pm

Thanks Alex, I appreciate you taking the time to give me all that info!

Return to posts index

by on Feb 5, 2016 at 7:18:09 pm

Hi Alex,

I had another question.... is there a big difference btw CS6 and CC? I will have to sync dailies and noticed that you can't merge clips by audio in CS6, but apparently you can in CC. Is there anything else that would make it worthwhile going to CC?

Also - I decided to go with ProRes after all, but our VFX guy will want to use the 2K size. I am not sure if my computer can handle that (I have a 27 iMac 2.93 GHz Intel Core i7 with 12GB Ram). Could I use PremierePro to create Proxie Files and link back to the 2K files after? Sorry to be asking such basic questions, but I just started to figure out Premiere...

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]