ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Combining several Premier projects into one

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Annie MushegyanCombining several Premier projects into one
by on Jan 25, 2016 at 12:11:19 pm

Hello everyone!

I'm stugling with an interesting issue here, failing to find an answer for in for several days now, maybe you could help me out. The story is:

We are making a full length 3D animation film, the films is devided into episodes and each episode is being edited in it's own premiere proj by a director who's assigned to it (there are three directors), so now we need to combine all those episodes into one timeline.

Now it would be easy to just import the sequences but Premiere doen't link the inported sequences to the original project, it creates a copy. Which creates a problem, since the work on the film is ongoing and directors are making adjusments and changes in those episodes - those changes would not automatically copy into the master edit of the project. The ideal solution would be if Premiere could dynamic link to it's own projects but as far as I know - it can't.

So are there any options of how to deal with this? Maybe some kind of a script can help or I'm just missing something? Please helpt out guys, we are all going crazy... :)

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Combining several Premier projects into one
by on Jan 25, 2016 at 12:34:03 pm

[Annie Mushegyan] "So are there any options of how to deal with this?"

Wait until they have picture locked the episodes until you bring them in?

Return to posts index

Annie MushegyanRe: Combining several Premier projects into one
by on Jan 25, 2016 at 1:07:31 pm

I wish i could :)
Not possible in this case unfortunalety. The changes are being made in chaotic order and in my ideal imaginary universe I've kicked out all 3 chaotic directors and got 1 who knows the word pipeline. But reality is cruel and brutal.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 25, 2016 at 1:18:56 pm

Is there a reason you would need to put all three bits together before they are done?

Return to posts index

by on Jan 25, 2016 at 1:50:09 pm

Yep, the reason is that we need to get the blocks of episodes to the sound department now (reason for that being done in the middle is that producers need to show those blocks to investors asap), and that means we need to make the cross-episode edit which is all fine right to the point when someone decides to change something in one of those episodes. We are trying to come up with some kind of solution to at least half-automate the whole thing.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 25, 2016 at 2:00:08 pm

How can you send anything to the sound department if you do not have picture lock? Premiere projects aren't your problem. Insanely dumb workflow is your problem.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 25, 2016 at 2:14:47 pm

I agree with every word you say. I'm just trying to survive in this hell of disorganization, that's it. If i could manage the workflow, I would but that is out of my reach.
Anyway thnx for your time!

Return to posts index

by on Jan 25, 2016 at 2:29:53 pm

Also if you manage to do some soundwork and the directors keep doing undocumented mess you'll have to do the audio again and again and again until there's a picture lock.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 25, 2016 at 2:38:03 pm

Exactly.
Don't get me wrong, I completely understand the complexity of the screw up but my hands are tied. I just have to work within the existing system, if you can even call it a system.

Return to posts index

Matt AndersonRe: Combining several Premier projects into one
by on Jan 25, 2016 at 1:48:18 pm

Luckily enough (if not a little school boy mischievous) Premiere allows you to open a project, select all, copy all, close project, open a new project and paste your old project into your new one.

Handy. But it does make me feel a little dirty haha

Return to posts index

by on Jan 25, 2016 at 1:56:04 pm

Yeah that will work, I get it :)

The question is more about optimizing the whole process. Two reasons for that:

1. We simply don't want to go through the whole process of editing episodes together each time, since we cant just lay them all on timeline sequentially.

2. The changes that directors make are not being documented or supervised in any way. Unfortunately that I can't fix and we need to work with what we got. :(

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: Combining several Premier projects into one
by on Jan 25, 2016 at 2:58:39 pm

Hi Annie...

using what's native to Premiere....yeah your workflow will probably be a bit messy but doable...

not dynamic....but you can get it done....

Adobe does have a couple of different tiers of Adobe Anyhwere which sounds like it would be an ideal solution to your workflow....

Anywhere for Teams is designed for groups working together in house (which I guess is your scenario).

Anywhere allows global (yes world wide) workflows.

But essentially would give you the ability to "sync" work of collaborators and everybody work with the same project.

either one requires some config of a collboration hub (another workstation) to host a DB to track and enable the collboration.

Something to think about for the future of your group....

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: Combining several Premier projects into one
by on Jan 25, 2016 at 3:30:36 pm

I don't know if this will help....

but it may...

https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/3/963613#963733

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

by on Jan 25, 2016 at 3:36:29 pm

Thnx again!
That wouldn't do the trick but there are some useful tips that I can use.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 25, 2016 at 3:31:42 pm

Hi Alex!

Thank you so much!
I briefly looked into it and it seems like Adobe Anywhere really might solve bunch of issues here...
I'm not sure it's gonna help us now since we are already halfway down the road, but as you've said - it can be really helpful with future projects.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]