ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

1080 or 720, MP4 vs AVCHD in Premiere CC...?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alex delfont1080 or 720, MP4 vs AVCHD in Premiere CC...?
by on Jan 25, 2016 at 8:16:50 am

Hi

I am creating some short videos for a community I work at. I am shooting on a Lumix G6 and a sony RX100 mk II.

Firstly, these videos will just be for youtube, and mainly watched by people who want to know more about the place watching on their laptops. So I was wondering if I should record and edit, and export in 1080, or do you think 720 would be fine? Im also thinking of what will make editing smoother for me in Premiere, and file sizes etc.

Secondly, I tried to shoot in AVCHD, but when importing in to premiere I lost the sound, and I read a lot online, and it seems like a common problem with the wrapper, I think its called a .mts file. I tried all the suggestions and still didnt have much luck.

I can shoot in MP4 on the cameras, will this be as good? Sorry I dont know much about all this stuff!

Thanks

Return to posts index

Matt AndersonRe: 1080 or 720, MP4 vs AVCHD in Premiere CC...?
by on Jan 25, 2016 at 1:56:07 pm

Hi Alex,

The speed at which you edit will depend on the bit rate of your recording format rather than the frame size.
So, 1920 or 720, it doesn't really matter ... you might as well use 1920x1080.
If you are shooting a lot and your PC or Laptop with Premiere isn't optimised for editing (ie, RAM of about 4GB) then you may want to consider transcoding your RAW footage to a lower bit rate and file type, perhaps H.264 MOV at 10Mbps.

In terms of getting your AVCHD files into Premiere, providing you are using CS7 and above, you will need to import this way:

Open your project, go to your Media Browser, Browse for you footage within Premiere's Media Browser, and you'll find that instead of an array of file types and document files, it will have consolidated your files into individual clips ... import these using right click and you should have your audio synced to your video.

Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

alex delfontRe: 1080 or 720, MP4 vs AVCHD in Premiere CC...?
by on Jan 26, 2016 at 3:05:09 am

hi

Thanks for the help. I have tried importing the mts files through media browser and still the audio does not appear, I did read a lot about it and followed peoples advice to no avail.

I have tested it shooting in Mp4 though and it works fine. Is there any disadvantage to using mp4 instead of avchd?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Matt AndersonRe: 1080 or 720, MP4 vs AVCHD in Premiere CC...?
by on Jan 28, 2016 at 11:42:04 am

Hi Alex,

If they have appeared in your Media Browser window as scrollable icons with preview thumbnails and without audio, perhaps the audio was disengaged at the time of recording?

Depending on how your camera is set up, the only difference would be bit rate ... which could affect your quality (ie, if your AVCHD bit rate is higher than your MP4 files).

Return to posts index

Chris ZeccoRe: 1080 or 720, MP4 vs AVCHD in Premiere CC...?
by on Jan 25, 2016 at 9:12:16 pm

When importing the AVCHD into premiere, utilizing the Media Browser, this ensures that the MTS files will come in properly, with all of their audio. This also helps if you have any AVCHD files that are spanned across multiple clips.

Chris

2012 Mac Pro
2x 2.4GHz Intel Xeon
24GB RAM
4GB EVGA GTX 960

2011 Macbook Pro
2.4GHz i7
16GB RAM

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]