ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

How can I create a movie from my timeline/sequence that is not compressed?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
james krogerHow can I create a movie from my timeline/sequence that is not compressed?
by on Jan 19, 2016 at 4:28:52 pm

I have tried a few options, including the exporting tutorial at Adobe https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/how-to/export-sequence-clip-premiere-c....
All of my attempts result in very poor appearance due to compression. The sequence is 25 minutes long. It made a 7 gig file in on ehour. I am using a machine with 64 gigs of ram, 12 cores, and a 256G SSD. I don't mind if the file is much larger. I need the quality to be as good as when I play the project in Premier. It consists of clips I have assembled from various places online. It is for teaching a college class.

Can I create an uncompressed movie?

Thanks
Jim

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: How can I create a movie from my timeline/sequence that is not compressed?
by on Jan 19, 2016 at 6:07:35 pm

video codecs with adobe media encoder that are lossless: avi uncompressed, animation, quicktime PNG.
These are still only 8 bit but since you're capturing web content, these should suffice.
You will still need a relatively fast HD to playback uncompressed footage. jpeg2000 lightly compressed handles poor video better than mpeg2, h.264, h.265.

My opinion is that quicktime PNG video codec would be smallest file size and best quality.

Return to posts index

JD MarlowRe: How can I create a movie from my timeline/sequence that is not compressed?
by on Jan 19, 2016 at 6:08:37 pm

What is the source codec of your footage? You don't gain anything by making it Uncompressed, unless the source was Uncompressed.

JD Marlow
jd@jdmarlow.com
http://www.jdmarlow.com

Return to posts index

Jeff PuleraRe: How can I create a movie from my timeline/sequence that is not compressed?
by on Jan 19, 2016 at 6:44:49 pm

Hi Jim,

You don't really want "uncompressed video", what you are looking for is to minimize compression loss.

True uncompressed HD video would take like several GBs per minute, files are absolutely huge. And to no benefit - you said you pulled the original clips from online sources, meaning they are already heavily compressed most likely. Making the files larger cannot make them better than they are. At best, you can maintain what quality you have.

So let's start at the beginning - do you know the formats/resolution of the source media?

Sequence Settings?

Export Settings?

How do you want to view or distribute the end results?

Please share as much info as possible, screen shots are very helpful, then we can figure out the best workflow to get you a decent quality export.

Thank you

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

james krogerRe: How can I create a movie from my timeline/sequence that is not compressed?
by on Jan 19, 2016 at 8:15:17 pm

Thanks so much guys for the responses. Here is more info. I got all of the clips, mostly videos on the brain, from Youtube, by using keepvid.com. On that site, it lets you "save link as" for many sizes. I usually chose 480p or 780p. It occurs to me if it expanded the smaller ones that could degrade quality. I don't really know what "codec" means, I am a total beginner, but can say what I did.
Following the tutotial at https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/how-to/export-sequence-clip-premiere-c... I did:
export media
entire sequence
format H.264
preset HD 1080p 29.97 (this may have caused blowing up 480p and 780p to 1080p which would cause quality
issues too, maybe)
Variable bit rate with 2 passes
bit rate to 256
choose output name,location

After writing this, I am wondering if my main problem is expansion of the size of the original clips. That's one reason I wanted to export the sequence uncompressed thinking that would prevent size changes but it seems that is not true. Maybe I should be asking in addition to what format to export in, how to make sure it does not change the pixel size of the images?

Thanks
Jim

Return to posts index

james krogerRe: How can I create a movie from my timeline/sequence that is not compressed?
by on Jan 19, 2016 at 8:19:40 pm

By the way I will put this movie, whatever form it takes, on the hard drive of the computer I will teach the class from, which will be a middling HP or Dell belonging to the classroom and probably have 2-4 gigs of ram. Or my Dell Core 2 Duo laptop with 8 gigs of ram. I presume the movie will play back in quicktime or in windows media player (but I don't care as long as it plays). Are you guys saying that the movie, once exported from Premier, will not play back at normal speed?

Thanks
Jim

Return to posts index

by on Jan 19, 2016 at 8:25:36 pm

I'll try to post a screenshot here using the file upload icon above.

Return to posts index

Jon DoughtieRe: How can I create a movie from my timeline/sequence that is not compressed?
by on Jan 20, 2016 at 2:18:52 am

I cannot say for sure without seeing your timeline. But if you are uprezzing 720x480 in a 1920x1080 timeline, well yes, that is going to end up looking grim, even if rendered uncompressed.

Your issue may not be compression at all. If you are uprezzing footage that much, nothing is going to keep it from looking soft and noisy.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2014 (as of 7/2015)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Robert PilgrimRe: How can I create a movie from my timeline/sequence that is not compressed?
by on Jan 25, 2016 at 5:00:01 pm

Hi James,

I agree with most of the people here that uprezzing the video to a new aspect ratio will cause some distortion in the picture.

However, I noticed you set your bitrate to 256. That is extremely low, try exporting again but bring the bitrate up to about 10,000. That will definitely make the file size bigger, but also make it look better. If that makes a noticable difference, use trial and error to determine the best bitrate for your videos length and your desired file size.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]