ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Best Intermediate Video Codec for Premiere on PC?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel LichtenbergBest Intermediate Video Codec for Premiere on PC?
by on Jan 18, 2016 at 11:05:06 pm

Hi Folks,

Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm a former FCP 7 user that's been working in Premiere about two years now. In general, I've always been disappointed working with native camera files that are UHD or larger. Specifically, files direct from these cameras: GH4, RED Epic, FS7, A7s, and FS5. I've found that while it does help to have a juicy system (I edited mostly on an HP Z420, and for three months on a 12-core Mac Pro), the performance with these files is never where I want it to be, like back when we were editing in FCP 7 with ProRes intermediates. Additionally, some of these codecs, when combined with Premiere, result in editing experiences ridden with bugs, crashes, and other anomalies that slow the edit down.

When working in a Mac environment on Premiere, we've been converting to ProRes before editing for best performance. When working in a PC environment on Premiere, we haven't quite found the best working codec.

What codec/file type does the community recommend for the best editing experience overall, when working on a PC with Premiere?

This question primarily concerns performance on this system: Premiere Pro CC 2015, with HP Z420, Windows XP, Quadro K4000, Thunderbolt 12 TB RAID 0.

Daniel Lichtenberg
Slow Clap Productions

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Best Intermediate Video Codec for Premiere on PC?
by on Jan 19, 2016 at 7:39:11 am

I can run those formats on an iMac. Are you trying to/do you need to deal with the footage in full debayering/quality? If you really need to transcode I'd probably use DNxHR for that.

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: Best Intermediate Video Codec for Premiere on PC?
by on Jan 19, 2016 at 4:05:01 pm

Adobe comes standard with a GoPro Cineform codec which they demo'd a lot with 4K and higher resolutions.

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Best Intermediate Video Codec for Premiere on PC?
by on Jan 20, 2016 at 2:58:47 pm

just offline proxy a DNxHR. good for slower computers, then relink for max quality.

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/create-clips-offline-editing.htm...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]