ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

multicam confusion

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael O'Reillymulticam confusion
by on Jan 14, 2016 at 2:16:08 pm

I'm returning to a multicam project I started a few months ago. I've had someone smarter than I with PPro sync and create the bulk of the multicam sequences. Unfortunately, that person is no longer available to ask about this.

I created and edited a coupla multicam sequences myself so I know it works. It is just that when I go to perform an edit like I'd been doing, it does not respond by changing the camera angle - it thinks I am trying to input a time value and "makes editable" the time indicator in the upper left hand corner of the timeline.

I could be working on the wrong sequence/clip - I don't really fully grasp the workflow of multicam. I understand how to sync things up (select more than one clip, right click and choose "create multi camera source sequence" and sync from there. But then you have to use that to create a sequence And how can you tell which are multicam source sequences and which are just regular sequences ?

***How do I check that the sequence that was created is Multicam?*** (or is that a dumb question coz if it is opened it will have more than one camera angle?) If I right click on it and choose properties or sequence settings, I don't see anything that tells me the sequence is multicam.

This is really frustrating because I was _just_ happily editing multicam, but now I don't know enough to know what I don't know (not to paraphrase good ol' Donald Rumsfeld).

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Herb SevushRe: multicam confusion
by on Jan 14, 2016 at 2:45:46 pm

[Michael O'Reilly] "How do I check that the sequence that was created is Multicam"

First of all the icon for a multicam sequence is subtly different - for a normal sequence the icon has 3 tracks aligned asymmetrically, for a multicam sequence the icon has 5 tracks of the same length perfectly stacked in a pile. Secondly if you double click a normal sequence it opens in the timeline, but if you double click a multicam sequence it opens in the source viewer. There is a specific "open in timeline" command for multicam sequences accessed by right clicking.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Michael O'ReillyRe: multicam confusion
by on Jan 15, 2016 at 2:28:58 am

Thanks for your response Herb. I had noticed the difference. I'll just have to memorize the behavior - it doesn't make absolute sense to me - double clicking the multicam sequence opens in the timeline, but you have to right click and explicitly tell the multicam source sequence to open in the timeline.

This person I mentioned that created the multicam source sequence and then the multicam sequences - they did not pay any mind to the names, so the original multi camera source sequences have longer names that were truncated on the creation of the multicam sequence. So I am not sure what source sequence refers to which multicam sequence. I guess I'll just have to go through and try each one, unless there is an easier way.

2 other things I learned: make sure you don't have the keyboard shortcuts loaded for FCP7 (they must've gotten switched somehow) and the numbers at the top of the keyboard are the only numbers that work to choose the current camera - the number pad does not seem to work.

thanks - Michael

Return to posts index

Herb SevushRe: multicam confusion
by on Jan 15, 2016 at 4:32:29 am

[Michael O'Reilly] "double clicking the multicam sequence opens in the timeline, but you have to right click and explicitly tell the multicam source sequence to open in the timeline."

I call the sequence that you are actually editing in the "editing sequence" - makes it simpler to differentiate. The multicam source sequence is a unique thing - it doesn't behave like a normal sequence, it doesn't behave like a normal source clip either.

[Michael O'Reilly] " the original multi camera source sequences have longer names that were truncated on the creation of the multicam sequence."

You can rename them if you wish.

[Michael O'Reilly] " and the numbers at the top of the keyboard are the only numbers that work to choose the current camera - the number pad does not seem to work."

I use the Keyboard Manager to switch that function to the number pad - much easier to use that way.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Michael O'ReillyRe: multicam confusion
by on Jan 15, 2016 at 3:54:26 pm

Herb, again thanks for your response. I think I got it figgered out this morning. The creation of the source and editing sequences was done with little regard to naming - it would have helped immensely if they had been changed when they were created, but I got them in line.

Did not know there was a keyboard manager - away from the editing computer currently, but will look into that tonight.

Best - Michael O

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]