ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Understanding Proxies With PP and R3D?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martyn MarquezUnderstanding Proxies With PP and R3D?
by on Jan 13, 2016 at 9:17:42 pm

Hello All,

I've been editing ProRes 422 proxies on PP for some time now and now that I'm approaching the end of my edit, I'm unclear on some things: From what I understood, the reason for the proxies was just to streamline the workflow and make it faster, i.e., less/no rendering, etc. This is fine, but what I don't understand is, if my footage almost certainly needs to be delivered as 1920x1080, what is the significance of filming at such a high resolution? I understand it will look better on a 4k screen, but those aren't standard at the moment, so I feel I have a shiny box with nice, smaller things inside. Am I missing something?

So, when I'm done and I want to export, I'll re-link the R3D footage and the export as 1080? This just seems like a very roundabout way to get the same results.

And finally, when it comes to color correction, should I correct it in the proxy or the original R3D?

I'd very much like to finish this project, it's been over a year now, but I find myself getting confused and thus slowing me down. All help is greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Mark NorgateRe: Understanding Proxies With PP and R3D?
by on Jan 14, 2016 at 1:02:54 pm

my 2 cents...

it seems to me you're kind of doubling up on proxies/previews here though that may be necessary depending on your system spec. you could have edited from the native footage in a 1080 sequence, but then you need a fast drive to handle the data rate of the 4K, etc etc.

one issue though is that if you've edited from files that are 1080 and relink to 4K then you may have to do some resizing and redo effects/nesting depending on how you've worked within your sequence.

i guess among other things, shooting at 4k gives you the ability to reframe and zoom in on footage to a high degree, and also future proofs you if you need to deliver 4K down the line. the 1080 delivery is fine for now but that's not to say you may not do another version later.

if you can you should grade from the native - they have a lot more colour information in them than the proxies and what you see when grading will be exactly what you get in the end.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]