ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Gopro Pro tune workflow

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad DanielsGopro Pro tune workflow
by on Jan 13, 2016 at 7:21:57 pm

Hi all,

I am editing in Premiere CC and I'm wondering if anyone knows of a workflow for GoPro footage shot in Pro tune mode. This is the first time I've used this mode and I'm aware that I've already made a mistake in the way I recorded the footage. Thankfully I had multiple back up cameras! I have included a screen grab from my footage, and as you can see it is extremely grainy!

So, I'm curious about two things. First, is this footage usable by applying some type of denoise/grain removal effect? If so, please send me in the right direction.
And second, what is the proper workflow for Pro tune footage? I'm wondering the steps I should take once the footage is imported into Premiere and in what order. Should I apply a LUT or color corrector first, etc? The other cameras that I am matching footage for are Canon 5D Mark 11, Canon 60D, and Panasonic GH4. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Robert PilgrimRe: Gopro Pro tune workflow
by on Jan 15, 2016 at 4:54:31 pm

Hi Brad,

I would try to start over instead of correcting this footage. A normal GoPro would have much higher quality than what is shown in the screenshot, especially if it was shot using the protune feature.

Did you transcode the footage before importing? Or did you go from the card directly into premiere?

- Rob

Return to posts index

Brad DanielsRe: Gopro Pro tune workflow
by on Jan 15, 2016 at 6:34:50 pm

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply. I did not transcode the footage. I imported directly into premiere. The only thing I did, once in Premiere, was interpret the footage from 60p to 24p. I have read online that Pro tune can produce some really grainy results if the ISO settings are not set appropriately. I don't remember my exact settings for ISO, but it would have been somewhere between 400-1200.

Currently, I don't have the option to reshoot as this was a live event. I would like to learn from my mistakes and do it right the next time, but in this case since it is my first experience grading pro tune I'm curious about a workflow.

Return to posts index

Robert PilgrimRe: Gopro Pro tune workflow
by on Jan 15, 2016 at 8:36:51 pm

Hey Brad,

If time is not yet a factor for delivery I would start over.

I would suggest downloading the GoPro Studio software. It is available for free on the GoPro website. This software will allow you to transcode the footage from MP4 to the GoPro Cineform codec. The reason for doing this is that, while premiere is a very smart program and will accept almost any type of file, the MP4 is a highly compressed file type and there will be a loss of quality if you try to edit with it. The Cineform codec is basically designed to be used for editing. Depending on the capture settings, I've seen this software turn a 500MB file into something that is over 10GB.

Additionally, the GoPro Studio software can also be used for light editing, setting in and out points, color correcting and even filter application. (There is a Pro-Tune filter which I am very curious to see how it would affect your video) ... It can also help with Timelapses / fisheye adjustment / anything gopro related etc etc

GoPro Studio Sofftware - http://shop.gopro.com/softwareandapp/gopro-studio/GoPro-Studio.html

If for some reason you are unable to download that software I would suggest using a different program to transcode all of the files to the "Apple ProRes 422 (HQ)" codec. Doing this will allow you to edit with one of the biggest file types, giving you the best possible video quality.

Good Luck!

And please keep me updated, I want to know how this turns out.

- Rob Pilgrim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]