ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Transcode Issues

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shawn HarrisonTranscode Issues
by on Jan 12, 2016 at 7:29:41 pm

Shawn Harrison Massive Transcode...
by Shawn Harrison on Jan 11, 2016 at 4:01:06 pm

I am an editor but never really had to deal with the trans coding process in the past so pardon my ignorance...

I have a friend I am doing a favor for that wants to trans code 240 hours of 4k footage to prores 1080p. How long would this take?

The only modern powerful system I have is a custom built PC. It has an i7 2 gtx 980 cards and 32gigs of DDR4 ram. The problem is I can't do prores on it. When I need to trans code to prores I use my 2008 mac pro but usually it's a much smaller file.

I was thinking if she is ok with it to trans code to Avid's format since the editors would be using Premiere on their Macs.

Or,would editing in straight 4k be crazy? This is for a you tube series... I know my computer can handle up to 5k real time, but unless her editors are using the latest Mac Pros that would be a problem no? I just think she would save so much time editing raw.

Any suggestions would be great, thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: Transcode Issues
by on Jan 13, 2016 at 1:03:14 am

Well, yeah, you need to be very up front and tell them that you can't do ProRes. DNxHD is the best you can do. And you want to retain the source metadata...timecode, reel number, all of that. A big question to ask is, what system will they be finishing on? Followed by: will they finish with the files you provide, or will they want to revert to the masters? If the masters, why do they want high res QT files from you?

This sounds like a job for Resolve, really. It retains information. Now...240 hours? Depending on the system (and I haven't timed anything with your machine specs) it can take real time if not longer. So 240 hours is 10 days, if the machine is cranking around the clock. If you can let the machine run around the clock. If you had 10 hour days, that's 24 days...or about 5 weeks (because you don't count weekends). Perhaps less as you can run it over night, but also time when it's not encoding so you can manage things. A LONG TIME.

Where I work we have a machine with 32 cores that cranks this out for us, and has an app to convert all the footage. We have more hours than you do, and it just cranks and cranks....

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]