ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Unwanted "Low resolution"-effect on diagonal edges when encoding H.264

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johan AndreassonUnwanted "Low resolution"-effect on diagonal edges when encoding H.264
by on Jan 11, 2016 at 5:34:26 pm
Last Edited By Johan Andreasson on Jan 11, 2016 at 5:46:50 pm

When exporting this clip from Premiere in H.264 I get some weird "low resolution"-effect on diagonal edges in the film. If I'm using a non-compressing codec like Quicktime Animation theres no distortion at all. I have tried to increase the bitrate but it don't seem to matter - it's the same. Also try using Adobe Media Encoder with the exact same results. The problem is the same throughout the while film...

What am I missing doning wrong?

Thanks
~ Johan

Return to posts index

Vince BecquiotRe: Unwanted "Low resolution"-effect on diagonal edges when encoding H.264
by on Jan 11, 2016 at 6:24:29 pm

Hi Johan,

Could you post a screenshot of your export settings?

Vince Becquiot

Indigo Live | Kaptis Media

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

Johan AndreassonRe: Unwanted "Low resolution"-effect on diagonal edges when encoding H.264
by on Jan 11, 2016 at 6:29:17 pm

Yes, here's the settings from Adobe Encoder unforunally it's in Swedish.

Thanks
~ Johan

Return to posts index

Vince BecquiotRe: Unwanted "Low resolution"-effect on diagonal edges when encoding H.264
by on Jan 11, 2016 at 6:31:33 pm

This looks like the previous image :-)

Vince Becquiot

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

Johan AndreassonRe: Unwanted "Low resolution"-effect on diagonal edges when encoding H.264
by on Jan 11, 2016 at 6:33:27 pm

Sorry(!) here it is:

Thanks
~ Johan

Return to posts index

by on Jan 11, 2016 at 6:39:46 pm

My Swedish is a little rusty:-) But it looks like your sequence in upper field first and your export is progressive, so that's
most likely where the pixelation is coming from. I would go back to the sequence and change it to progressive and export again, that should fix your issue.

Let us know how that goes.

Vince Becquiot

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

by on Jan 11, 2016 at 6:44:44 pm

I thought you where right on it, maybe you are, but the settings seem to be set to Progressive...

Thanks
~ Johan

Return to posts index

by on Jan 11, 2016 at 6:47:44 pm

Hmm, are you sure that's the same sequence? Look at your export screenshot, doesn't it say upper in your source setting?

Vince Becquiot

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

by on Jan 11, 2016 at 6:50:45 pm
Last Edited By Vince Becquiot on Jan 11, 2016 at 6:51:13 pm

Oh wait, I think I got it, you were exporting the clip directly, not the sequence, correct?

Vince Becquiot

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

by on Jan 11, 2016 at 7:00:23 pm

You're on to something here. It seem like the source clip that I exported from After effects (which is a uncompressed .mov with codec "Animation) is upper fields because "Övre" means Upper.

But I can find a field setting in AE?

Thanks
~ Johan

Return to posts index

by on Jan 11, 2016 at 7:07:02 pm

In AE, in your render queue window, click on render settings and under time sampling, make sure that field render is off.

Vince Becquiot

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

by on Jan 11, 2016 at 7:25:08 pm

Ok, it seems very weird if that was not set to OFF when I was rendering the first time. But did another render now on the source file from AE and then converted to h.264 in Encoder and that file looks GREAT.

Still weird cause when I check the render Que in AE and the settings used when exporting the upper field mov files it says Feld render "OFF". So I don't quite understand.

The only difference is that that render was don't on my other computer at home. Well, thank you VERY much...!

Thanks
~ Johan

Return to posts index

by on Jan 11, 2016 at 7:27:13 pm

Thanks
~ Johan

Return to posts index

by on Jan 11, 2016 at 7:29:48 pm

If that happens again, you can always interpret the footage is Premiere and set it to progressive.

Glad you sorted it out!

Vince Becquiot

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

by on Jan 11, 2016 at 7:31:56 pm

Is that right? That's great cause I have 12 clips and it's the same problem o all of them.
So I don't have to re-export the source file from AE? Just interpret them?

Thanks
~ Johan

Return to posts index

by on Jan 11, 2016 at 7:33:38 pm

If you created the files in AE, then that might cause a loss of resolution, I would give it a shot and see how they look.

Vince Becquiot

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

by on Jan 11, 2016 at 7:36:55 pm

Just did - and they look equally great.
You really helped me out of a LOT of trouble here since I don't have much time left for this project.
Thank you

Thanks
~ Johan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]