ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

optimising HDD set up on FW800 system

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Doubledarkoptimising HDD set up on FW800 system
by on Jan 10, 2016 at 10:49:21 pm

Hi all
I need some advice on how best to setup an older iMac for video editing.
Currently have a 2.93 GHz Intel Core i7 iMac/12GB RAM, FW800 port.

Internal hdd has failed so currently boot via external FW800 with SSD.

I have three RAID enclosures(2x RAID-0/1 and 1 x RAID-0/1/5 available plus a couple of JBOD enclosures- all FW800. My photo/video files currently are on a SSD in JBOD enclosure.

This is what I have to work with for the time being.

How do I best set these enclosures up to edit in Premiere Pro so I get max data throughput and data security?

Cheers

Return to posts index

Tim JonesRe: optimising HDD set up on FW800 system
by on Jan 11, 2016 at 3:17:01 am

Unfortunately, FW800 tops out at a meager 75MB/sec. Even a single, 7200RPM disk can saturate that bandwidth, so no amount of RAID or SSD is going to improve on your performance.

Basically, so long as you're stuck with FW800, your connection is going to be the bottleneck.

For security, RAID 5 is a must for storage and backups under your current restrictions.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.tolisgroup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Steve DoubledarkRe: optimising HDD set up on FW800 system
by on Jan 11, 2016 at 3:37:56 am

For security, RAID 5 is a must for storage and backups
I have the storage side of things sorted.

Even a single, 7200RPM disk can saturate that bandwidth
This comment baffles me because when I switched to an SSD for my stills, I noticed a huge improvement in performance. So much so that I could render out huge panorama's by writing to the SSD whereas on a hdd, the operation would fall over.

I'm only interested in editing HD at the moment so it's more the disk set up that I'm looking at.

Return to posts index

Tim JonesRe: optimising HDD set up on FW800 system
by on Jan 11, 2016 at 4:02:03 am

Black Magic Disk Speed Test is your friend (or enemy) in this case. Grab a copy from the MAS or BMD's site and check for yourself.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.tolisgroup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Steve DoubledarkRe: optimising HDD set up on FW800 system
by on Jan 11, 2016 at 5:33:12 am

OK, given the very limited nature of my setup; how do I best set up the various enclosures.
Currently, I have OS / Apps on an SSD and I have media on a second SSD.

Do I use one enclosure for Scratch, another enclosure for Previews and output to a third enclosure or do I setup 3 disks in a RAID5, move my files to this enclosure and do all my editing on the RAID? The other enclosures can be re-tasked to back-up duties if they won't help with my current hardware.

Cheers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]