ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Is this lighting system any good for someone like me (super less than amateur youtube guy)

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Duke SwedenIs this lighting system any good for someone like me (super less than amateur youtube guy)
by on Jan 9, 2016 at 8:33:28 pm
Last Edited By Duke Sweden on Jan 9, 2016 at 8:41:07 pm

I bought a 160 LED on camera light based on reviews that it put out a lot of light but to my disappointment it didn't even nudge my exposure meter one notch. I decided to keep it for when I perform maintenance under my aquarium, that's about all it's good for. So...

I'm looking at this setup. Mind you, I'm not shooting Hollywood quality, or even sub-Indie productions here. I don't need top of the line, but I need better than a night light! So, going by the specs of this setup do you think it should suit my needs? Please, no "Only you know what you need or don't need" type responses. I'm only asking for broad opinions, and I won't sue you if you accidentally steer me wrong ;-) Basically I'm not looking to shoot super bright "Soap Opera Effect" type stuff. Moody, drama type stuff just to narrow it down a bit.

Anyway, it's the Photo Studio Video Continuous LED Three Light Kit Boom Steve Kaeser Photographic. Here's the ebay link so you can check out the specs.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/311349572148

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Is this lighting system any good for someone like me (super less than amateur youtube guy)
by on Jan 9, 2016 at 9:18:05 pm
Last Edited By Tero Ahlfors on Jan 9, 2016 at 9:20:39 pm

[Duke Sweden] "Please, no "Only you know what you need or don't need" type responses."

Well lighting is dependant on what kind of stuff you'd be shooting in certain conditions. That said 50 watts per light is pretty useless if that's a comparable to a normal light. I'd buy a case of 800 watt (per lamp) red heads.

You can dim powerful lamps with a multitude of ways but you can't boost low powered lamps up.

Return to posts index

Vince BecquiotRe: Is this lighting system any good for someone like me (super less than amateur youtube guy)
by on Jan 9, 2016 at 10:09:06 pm
Last Edited By Vince Becquiot on Jan 9, 2016 at 10:11:47 pm

Hi Duke,

It depends of whether you think you might expend your video/quality in the future.

Good lighting, unlike cameras, is something that will last you a very long time and has a good resell value.

If you want cold lights, florescent is still much cheaper than LED (At comparable quality) and I'd argue still looks better.

Cheap LED lights has a few issues. They look harsh, green, have little power, and they probably won't last (They are way often overpowered and will die early)

My recommendation would be looking for used KINO Flo lighting that will last a very long time and look great.

If you are posting on Youtube, I'm assuming you have some aspirations at making money, so the 2 most important things will be a good mic and good lights.

Cheers!

Vince Becquiot

Indigo Live | Kaptis Media

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

Duke SwedenRe: Is this lighting system any good for someone like me (super less than amateur youtube guy)
by on Jan 9, 2016 at 11:03:34 pm

Thanks, guys. I guess my long winded question really boiled down to how bright the lights would be given those specs. Just didn't know how to word it but both of you answered my question. No, I'm not looking to make money on youtube. Most of my videos are unlisted, they're just video messages to my brother, to let him know how I'm doing and such. I just like dramatic lighting, and maybe recreating a look I've seen in a movie here or there, but nothing technically brilliant. But if these are too weak for my needs, yeah, you saved me $117.00. I don't mind the $19 I spent on this other light, it's cheaper than a good flashlight ;-)

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Is this lighting system any good for someone like me (super less than amateur youtube guy)
by on Jan 10, 2016 at 3:05:54 am

Did you say flashlight? Take a look at what Shanks FX does with flashlights. Pretty cool stuff:

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Duke SwedenRe: Is this lighting system any good for someone like me (super less than amateur youtube guy)
by on Jan 10, 2016 at 3:16:05 am

Thanks for that!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]