ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

fixing frame rate

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
therman mermehnfixing frame rate
by on Jan 7, 2016 at 7:21:24 am

I have a video which is footage of a film reel. The original reel was 24fps , however , the video file is 29.97 fps. To make matter worse this is vhs footage , so the speed of the reel and speed of the vhs tape vary. I want the files frames to match the actual footage frames.

I thought I could just set the sequence to 24fps but obviously the reel and vhs isn't a perfect speed so eventually it starts repeating frames again. My next idea was "i'll just make it 20fps , that way every frame will be different from the last , it might skip a few but 20fps will still be watchable" However , I only have 23.976 and 15fps as an option. Technically 15fps would work , but 15fps is horrible. I need a happy medium here.

Any ideas? I need a way to make this file a completely non standard fps

Return to posts index

Jon DoughtieRe: fixing frame rate
by on Jan 7, 2016 at 2:15:41 pm

My first question is - what do your deliverables (final output/finished product) need to be? How will the end product be viewed?

For example, if you will be using and viewing the finished product on TV, you will likely want a 29.97 or 59.94 frame rate, depending on resolution and other media.

In the above example, my first choice would be to simply take the 24fps clip and use it straight in the 29.97 sequence. Premiere Pro should automatically add the 3:2 pulldown. Back in the tape days, we all watched hours of 3:2 pulldown every time we rented a VHS movie. No big deal.

I understand you may be sensitized to the pulldown now that you see it. But most folks, if they even notice it at all, will quickly ignore it and simply watch the video.

JMHO.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2014 (as of 7/2015)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

jerry wiseRe: fixing frame rate
by on Jan 7, 2016 at 4:29:23 pm

also your clip might be lower field so you will want to make it upper field.

Return to posts index

therman mermehnRe: fixing frame rate
by on Jan 13, 2016 at 10:46:52 am

Well essentially I need it to be so the original footage is 1 frame every second. That way I can editing the original footage correctly. However because every frame doesn't actually match , the distance between the frames various from 1 to 2 to 3 frames before the actual reel has a new frame.

I don't suppose adobe can scan a file to seperate each frame from the next while ignoring the files frame rate?

Essentially I have a 30fps video now , and in the end , I want a 24fps video where every frame whille be different from the last.

Return to posts index

Mark NorgateRe: fixing frame rate
by on Jan 13, 2016 at 1:57:44 pm

save yourself some bother and get the clip remade at the correct frame rate ;)

Return to posts index

therman mermehnRe: fixing frame rate
by on Jan 16, 2016 at 4:24:52 pm

that isn't possible

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]