ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Program monitor not sharp when not playing

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Duke SwedenProgram monitor not sharp when not playing
by on Jan 7, 2016 at 4:18:07 am

I don't know if this started after one of the two latest updates, but it's been a while and I'm just now remembering to ask here. I have the program monitor set to 1/4 quality but that really has nothing to do with it. Any better quality and playback is very choppy (I'm a total amateur and my work station reflects this status).

Anyway, I shoot with a flat profile that lowers the in camera sharpness, so my out of camera files are flat and soft. When I load a clip into the timeline, I can add unsharp mask and I can sharpen the image. However, the image in the program monitor will show the clip as it looks when playing at 1/4 quality for about a second, and then sort of snap back to unaltered look, even though the sharpening has taken effect.

This makes it hard to see how the sharpness looks unless I render the clip first, which is a pain. In short, when not playing, the clip has the original dull look, but when I play it I'm getting the 1/4 quality so I still don't know if I've sharpened the clip properly. All other video effects show whether the clip is playing or not (lower saturation, change tint, etc.)

Has anyone else come across this?

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Program monitor not sharp when not playing
by on Jan 7, 2016 at 5:07:08 am

If you're trying to see how sharpening is affecting the picture you'll need to be looking that at full quality and 100% scale.

Return to posts index

Duke SwedenRe: Program monitor not sharp when not playing
by on Jan 7, 2016 at 1:37:54 pm

Hey, thanks for responding. I don't think you're getting my point (my original post does seem convoluted upon re-reading it this morning). If I switch between 1/4 and full, the still image doesn't change in quality, as far as sharpness. It looks exactly the same. If I play the clip in full quality, sure, I can see the sharpness but playback is beyond choppy (like I said, amateur work station). But I remember before, if I applied sharpness to my clip, you could see the effect when the clip is not playing.

Also, just to clarify, whether I have it set to 1/4 or full quality, the still image doesn't change. But only for sharpness. It will change if I desaturate or add a LUT or adjust white balance.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 7, 2016 at 2:27:34 pm

Have you changed the paused resolution quality? You can have different quality settings for playback and paused footage.

Return to posts index

Duke SwedenRe: Program monitor not sharp when not playing
by on Jan 7, 2016 at 2:54:11 pm

No, I didn't. But the paused image is full resolution. Always has been. When I play the clip I can see it go to 1/4 quality, and when I stop it, it goes back to full res, but, again, the sharpness effect doesn't show.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 7, 2016 at 4:08:43 pm

Have you tried cranking the sharpness effect up so you can see that it is doing something? As I said before if you're doing some slight sharpening you'll need to view it pixel for pixel.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]