ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Adobe Premiere is stuttering with go pro footage

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fabian CharltonAdobe Premiere is stuttering with go pro footage
by on Jan 6, 2016 at 10:26:09 am
Last Edited By Fabian Charlton on Jan 6, 2016 at 10:40:57 am

So i've done research and determine that I should convert the files inGo pro first. my issue is that how come I can play perfectly in VLC but when I come to premiere it stutters
I recorded my experience with task manager and all that
I also use the gpu acceleration option in the renderer

https://sendvid.com/0phmx1wg

Now if I convert to gopro would that take away quality.
I also selectd HIGH quality in the advance setttings of the gopro cine studio app

here is my specs

Return to posts index

Jeff PuleraRe: Adobe Premiere is stuttering with go pro footage
by on Jan 6, 2016 at 2:59:04 pm

GoPro footage is notorious for having playback issues at times, even on fast workstations. You will not see any degradation by converting in GoPro Studio. I would choose .avi over .mov since QuickTime is 32-bit and slows down the 64-bit Premiere.

Not sure it would make any difference, but try importing GoPro clips with Media Browser rather than File > Import in Premiere.

Benefits of converting the footage with Studio are:

* Much easier playback on timeline
* Edit long clips before converting, keeping only parts you need
* Fisheye removal option available if needed

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Chris EvansRe: Adobe Premiere is stuttering with go pro footage
by on Jan 6, 2016 at 3:30:29 pm

Sometimes, it's helpful to know why this is happening. H.264 is a fantastic codec for final delivery because of it's ability to compress videos to such a small size while still retaining decent quality. The issue is that the way h.264 compresses uses a lot of math to take one frame and using motion prediction formulas to create the next and/or previous few or many frames without saving all those frames individually. It's way more complicated than that and I don't know much more than that, but that's the general idea. You may already know that, but the important thing to take away from that is that when you're playing it, it requires the CPU to do a lot more calculations in order to give you a picture than a larger file where the limiting speed is just the transfer speed from the hard drive. When you're just playing it (like in VLC player), the CPU can keep up just fine, but when you're editing, that takes more oomph and it's difficult to get that even with good CPUs. If you bring in a clip that doesn't start with one of those keyframes, it's gonna have to do a lot of extra math to display those couple frames.

It's more complicated than that, but it's the general idea and hopefully helps you understand why it's so difficult. It's not a fault of Adobe or GoPro, just the nature of the products.

Kinda unnecessary information, but hopefully it's interesting at least.

Return to posts index

Chris BorjisRe: Adobe Premiere is stuttering with go pro footage
by on Jan 6, 2016 at 6:27:19 pm

What version of premiere are you on Fabian?

I know in CS6 it's a huge problem and gopro footage works
better if transcoded.

But the later versions of premiere handle it much better.

The latest 2015 CC plays it just fine here for me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]