ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Bit Rates, Stock Footage and Delivery for TV Broadcast

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David IntratorBit Rates, Stock Footage and Delivery for TV Broadcast
by on Jan 5, 2016 at 3:28:57 pm

I posted this to the Digital Delivery Forum, but I thought I'd ask you guys as well

I've proposed a TV spot for client that involves the use of Stock footage from places like Getty Images and Shutterstock. I've been alerted by a colleague that if the footage has not been shot at the proper bit rate, even though it might be at the proper 1920x1080 resolution and frame rate, this could cause artifacts when broadcast on TV (all is ok for the web, of course).

I've contacted both Getty and Shutterstock and they know nothing about bit rates and claim that their footage is often used on TV.

Does anyone know anything about this. Or has anyone used stock footage for TV broadcast.

Thanks.

david

Return to posts index

jerry wiseRe: Bit Rates, Stock Footage and Delivery for TV Broadcast
by on Jan 5, 2016 at 4:44:55 pm

we use stock footage often. we buy footage that is 1920x1080 at 30 or 24 fps. sometimes we get footage that is at 25 fps and it works well. since we are a broadcast station we are airing shows and commercials that are 30 fps(29.97). so if we get footage that is 24 fps then Premiere adds the "3/2 pulldown" and all is ok for broadcast.

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: Bit Rates, Stock Footage and Delivery for TV Broadcast
by on Jan 5, 2016 at 6:49:11 pm

Yeah...I don't know what those people are talking about. I convert the footage to ProRes or DNxHD and cut it into the show and all is fine. I work on shows that are almost entirely made from stock footage that air on TV.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Tim VaughanRe: Bit Rates, Stock Footage and Delivery for TV Broadcast
by on Jan 5, 2016 at 7:12:21 pm

Ha! I've too often seen footage from iPhones and iPads used. If you're going with Shutterstock, Getty, or any of the others, you're probably well ahead of the game...:) Besides, once it goes out to the tower from the station, it's compressed down to a few MB's for transmission.

--
Tim Vaughan
Production Editor and Motion Graphics, PBS Charlotte
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]