ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Consolidate & Transcode: seemingly random wrong file reconnects after opening the consolidated project

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Merlin VandenbosscheConsolidate & Transcode: seemingly random wrong file reconnects after opening the consolidated project
by on Jan 5, 2016 at 1:59:43 pm

Dear Premiere Pro users,

I've been having an issue for a while now using the project manager in Premiere Pro CC 2015.

After I consolidate a project, using file handles (trimmed files); and when opening the newly consolidated project (linking to these newly created trimmed files), about 90% of the timeline is correct, but at seemingly random places the clips are 'greyed out' by lines and the program monitor shows nothing (black video) at these locations. A screenshot to illustrate:

screenshot2016-01-05at10.04.01.png

These are the settings I use for the project manager:

screenshot2016-01-05at10.11.39.png

Our goal is to minimize the use of disk space for some projects in our archive, as we shoot lots of scripted and unscripted reality and the regular file collect (not transcoding/trimming) does not yield a strong enough result.

I'm seeing these issues with all kinds of media and projects: big (45 mins+), small (3 to 4 mins). And with several different media types: ProRes 422 (generated by Pix devices), R3D, mp4 (H264, GoPro). The screenshot for instance is from a small project (3 mins) using a mix of ProRes 422 (Pix) and H264 (DSLR).

Anyone has any ideas what might be causing this? Is it the same bug as the one causing the TC of a pix-generated ProRes files to not be read on OS X? (pix quicktime files read as 0 timecode when imported in PPRO)

We are cutting on Mac OS X 10.9.5, trashcan MacPro, using the 9.0.2 release of CC 2015 (the one before last).

Kind regards,
Merlin

Return to posts index

Trent HappelRe: Consolidate & Transcode: seemingly random wrong file reconnects after opening the consolidated project
by on Jan 5, 2016 at 4:08:27 pm

It's possibly timecode related, as it appears that your clips are shifted. If you Offline the problem clips, then Link Media, try toggling "Align Timecode" and then Locate the clips. Does having Align Timecode checked or not checked make a difference?

Trent Happel
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

Merlin VandenbosscheRe: Consolidate & Transcode: seemingly random wrong file reconnects after opening the consolidated project
by on Jan 8, 2016 at 5:09:56 pm

Thanks for the tip, Trent, but alas. I've tried this suggested workaround, but no result. I'm making the clips offline and relinking with and without 'align timecode'.

Funny thing is, after forcing media to go offline, the clips remain greyed out and do not show media offline (just remain the same black output). But elsewhere in the timeline, a second instance of the same clip would go offline/online with the relink just fine. Maybe this happens only to clips that are originally coming from the same mediaclip but are spread out over the timeline?

Maybe the handles are causing the problems here? I could try getting rid of them the next time when consolidating. We are basically doing a consolidate like this to give us the flexibility to change graphics and overlays at a later stage if needed. The handles are not necessary per se, but just seemed like an extra failsafe.

Merlin

Return to posts index

Stefan HackerRe: Consolidate & Transcode: seemingly random wrong file reconnects after opening the consolidated project
by on Jan 15, 2016 at 7:24:51 pm

I'm having an almost identical problem with Project Manager - I've also tried the offline and relink method and not had any luck getting clips with danger lines to display correctly:

https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/3/973292

Return to posts index

Maarten TonerRe: Consolidate & Transcode: seemingly random wrong file reconnects after opening the consolidated project
by on Jan 29, 2016 at 11:55:06 pm

Having a lot of problems with CC 2015 as well but mostly it giving me ridiculously bloated projects: a 30gb project turns into a 89gb project. (going from xdcam35 mb to prores makes the tool useless.

What I did find in premiere is that speed changes often don't translate properly. Anytime a project needs to be upgraded to a new version of CC speed changes get lost, same happend a few times with consolidating.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]