ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

TV image with content panning behind it

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew TaylorTV image with content panning behind it
by on Jan 3, 2016 at 1:28:15 am

I've looked at a number of masking tutorials, but I cannot find a straightforward solution to what I'm trying to accomplish (it may be because I'm not sure what keywords to use in my search).

I'm using Premiere Pro 5.5 on a W7 system. I would like to have a track (Track 2) with the picture of a TV (covering the whole visible area), and a track below (Track 1) with an image that is 4 times wider than the visible area, and that slowly pans from right to left.

I would like to take the screen area of the TV (Track 2) and make it transparent so that the content in Track 1 is visible.

This seems to be a fairly simple effect. However, when I imported the TV image as a TIFF file with a transparent TV screen, the transparency was not applied and the TV screen was opaque.

I used a Track Matte Key effect to remove the white TV screen, but that messed up other parts of the TV image.

I tried the Four Point Garbage Matte, and although that made the content in Track 1 visible, it also deleted the TV set, so I ended up with a black area instead of a TV set.

I was thinking of painting the TV screen green in PhotoShop, and try a green screen effect. But before I go on an endless trial and error process, I thought I would ask around to see what you guys would use for this kind of effect.

Alternatively, what key words would you use to describe this effect and search for a tutorial or a discussion on this?

- "partial screen transparency" ?
- "picture mask effect" ?
- Other?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Vince BecquiotRe: TV image with content panning behind it
by on Jan 3, 2016 at 11:25:13 pm

Hi Andrew,

Bring the Tiff in Photoshop. Double check that's it's an RGB image, and verify that the center is transparent.

Save as PSD, import in Premiere and set as top layer, you should be good to go.

Vince Becquiot

Indigo Live | Kaptis Media

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

Rob GalluccioRe: TV image with content panning behind it
by on Jan 4, 2016 at 2:04:51 am
Last Edited By Rob Galluccio on Jan 4, 2016 at 2:06:33 am

Thanks, that did the trick (I was having a similar issue). I didn't think of importing a PSD file directly (I normally use TIFF instead),

Apart from the transparency, are there any other benefits in importing PSDs directly, as opposed to saving a PSD as TIFF and importing that into Premiere (as I've been doing so far)?

Rob

Return to posts index

Vince BecquiotRe: TV image with content panning behind it
by on Jan 4, 2016 at 4:54:54 pm

Hi Rob,

With PSD you can still separate layers so that may give you more control.)

Vince Becquiot

Indigo Live | Kaptis Media

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]