ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Color Correction Premiere Pro + Resolve Questions

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martyn MarquezColor Correction Premiere Pro + Resolve Questions
by on Dec 31, 2015 at 1:44:23 am

Hello All,

This is a bit of a long one, please forgive my naivete. I've picture locked a short film that I've been working on this past year. I edited the project on the latest version of PP using a ProRes 422 proxy. We shot 5k on the R3D Scarlet and the plan is to render the final product at 2k.

My goal with Resolve is to convert the images to black and white (I'll be hitting COW up for tips when that time comes), but I wanted to clear some things up before I even began to dive into color correction:

What's in my timeline is still the proxy clips. Do I need to link the original R3D files before I begin color correction or can I do the correction with the proxies? If so, is there a somewhat streamlined version that you can recommend to do so? Or should the color correction be done with the R3D files?

Also, some post sound editing will be needed, so I was wondering if that needs to be handled first before color?

Again, apologies that this is all over the place, this was quite the undertaking and I've been the one at the helms and my editing skills are very thin. Thanks again for all your help!

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: Color Correction Premiere Pro + Resolve Questions
by on Dec 31, 2015 at 6:20:42 am

[Martyn Marquez] "Do I need to link the original R3D files before I begin color correction or can I do the correction with the proxies?"

You need the RED files...or you need to convert the RED files to ProRes 4444 2K and send that to Resolve. But it's best to work with the original files. NOW...how did you create the ProRes Proxy files? If not in Resolve, or Red Rocket, Resolve might have an issue with metadata and relinking to the originals.

[Martyn Marquez] "Also, some post sound editing will be needed, so I was wondering if that needs to be handled first before color? "

That's usually handled at the same time as color correction. BOTH happen after you lock picture. You just need to marry picture and final audio before you output.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Martyn MarquezRe: Color Correction Premiere Pro + Resolve Questions
by on Dec 31, 2015 at 7:06:42 am
Last Edited By Martyn Marquez on Dec 31, 2015 at 7:21:49 am

I'd need to double check, but I believe that the proxy files were created with Resolve. However, the proxies that were created were ProRes 422. This was done because I was under the impression that I'd be able to export through PP's as 2k. Are you saying that's not the case? If not, will I need to do color correction in another program, i.e., Speedgrade?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]