ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Superwhites

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oscar GottiSuperwhites
by on Dec 28, 2015 at 7:19:56 am
Last Edited By Oscar Gotti on Dec 28, 2015 at 7:21:26 am

Hello,

Looking at some of my original rushes from a variety of cameras, I can see on my Luma waveform (set to the 'float' setting) that some of my clips have whites that go over the 100 mark, whereas others are clipped at 100. Then there are some others that go over 100 but end up clipping at say 110...

Why do some cameras allow clips to go more than a 100? Is it so we can bring it down in post and bring back the detail?

Thanks,
Oscar

Return to posts index

Ivan MylesRe: Superwhites
by on Dec 28, 2015 at 1:33:49 pm
Last Edited By Ivan Myles on Dec 28, 2015 at 2:54:23 pm

[Oscar Gotti] "Why do some cameras allow clips to go more than a 100? Is it so we can bring it down in post and bring back the detail?"

Yes. Dynamic range adjusts (or is adjusted) to maximize the level of detail within the scene; colors that are out of range based on the camera settings could/should have been in range if the levels were set differently.

This is easy to demonstrate with a still camera; take a picture while zoomed in on a medium-dark object, and then place a white sheet of paper next to the object. The object becomes darker as the dynamic range adjusts to include higher peak levels.

In this first sample image notice how light the desk appears and the level of detail in the black check book.

When a white envelope is introduced the desk and check book appear darker and details are less discernible.

If the camera settings had not changed the envelope colors would have been out of range in the second photo.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]